Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

Cochise
10-04-2001, 10:29 AM
You seem to know a lot about BMW. This is my first BMW and he wants to know about the M5 compared to the M3. I did my best but what do you think? I was always an AMG man but I like the 6 speed with four doors with the big V8. Is it easy to upgrade those cars?

N Demand
10-04-2001, 10:38 AM
if im going to feel a big difference.If im not,than im not spending 80k

Mark G
10-04-2001, 10:52 AM
Are you on the 5 M car sampler plan through BMW?

N Demand
10-04-2001, 10:58 AM
i get bored easily :)

Cochise
10-04-2001, 11:06 AM
I want to say that the cars are very even as far as acceleration but you would think that cruising down the highway at 60 mph and dropping it into 3rd, you'd feel it more in the M5. V8 POWER!

StoneWalk
10-04-2001, 11:36 AM
I've played with both the M3 and M5. They aretwo wonderful examples of automotive performance hardware. Their character is somewhat different.

You can look at them on paper, and they look somewhat similar, with the obvious 2 door vs 4 door, i6 vs v8, and 3400 vs 4000 pounds being the most distinguishing features. If you check the dimensions, the M5 is actually not _that_ much larger than the M3 on paper (3.9 inches more wheelbase, same track width, only 1.6 inches taller, 12 inches longer). In real life use and behind the wheel, the difference seems larger.

Things you won't see on paper that might influence your decision.

1. Exhaust note totally different. To me, the M5 has the edge here - that V8 roars gloriously at full song, while the M3 sings more of an edgy note.

2. As noted above, the M5 _feels_ like a lot more car, in many ways. It's nicer on the inside, it feels it's mass through the corners, and you look more mature asking your 3 friends to get into it at the valet stand.

3. If you care about such things, the M3 gets much better real-world gas mileage 16/24 vs 13/21.

The two cars share the same gearbox, so that part is similar. The steering is totally different - M5 still using recirculating ball at last check while the M3 has a somewhat overboosted version of the 3 series rack-and-pinion. Amusingly, in my hands I liked them about equally.

M5 has a greater stealth factor, especially if you dress it down. M3 will get noticed more.

And of course the M5 costs a good bit more.

Not a bad choice to be made here. Both are worthy. M5 a bit more of a GT than the M3, but both a heck of a lot of fun. Check your personal needs and tastes for doors/seats/track-time/etc and pick one.

Mark G
10-04-2001, 11:45 AM
;) Seems like that would work out for both of you.

N Demand
10-04-2001, 11:50 AM

Roadfly Home | Car Reviews | Forum Archives Index