Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

View Full Version : What happens if the belt breaks?

Emission
10-15-2001, 01:43 AM
I own a boring BMW (E46), so cut me some slack with this stupid question I am asking about a Porsche.

A friend lent me his fully restored (paint and engine) and re-built (many racing upgrades) 1980 911 SC Targa. It is beautiful, but he doesn't drive it often. I will be watching and driving it at least every weekend for a while to keep it happy.

Anyway, today I was bringing it to my home... and when I slowed, I heard a screeching noise from the back. It sounded like a belt... so I checked it out when I got home.

It wasn't pretty:

The A/C belt had slipped off the compressor and was resting (and getting chewed up) on the other belt (the main "cooling fan" belt). That main belt had slipped and was now very loose. It can be pushed in about 2" with my fingers (plenty of play).

My question: Can I drive the car about 12 miles to my friend's home where we can change the belt out? If the belt breaks, I assume the alternator will be useless, and the car may also overheat. Will the car overheat if it is moving, or just if it stands still (traffic light)? What other dangers do I have to worry about if the belt breaks?

Thanks in advance.

Hambone
10-18-2001, 04:40 PM
The engine can overheat and result in major damage if the main belt is damaged or loose. Suggest that you do not move it until the belt is replaced and properly tensioned. Even if you have the auto towed to a garage you'll only be out a couple of hundred max. That beats a $6-10k engine job any day. Be smart and safe..not dumb and cheap!

Brian
10-24-2001, 08:28 PM
LOL! On a 911 if the fan belt breaks, you MUST stop immediately. Damage to the engine (pistons, cylinders, valvetrain, etc.) will happen VERY quickly. You would never, ever make it 12 miles with no cooling fan.

Emission
10-29-2001, 12:18 PM
True, never drive with a broken belt. The engine will overheat rather quickly. Worst of all, the engine will heat at different rates (no air over cylinder heads) and you will have major problems.

Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index