Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

RayKay
10-15-2001, 10:50 AM
Just wondering if any of you considered a C32 and if so what made you choose the M3 besides that the C32 just came out? Thanks!

I've got both on order and both coming about the same time... Need to make a decision soon!

Thanks again!

lincoln
10-15-2001, 11:01 AM
I had a CLK55 deposit and an E46 M3 deposit. Luckily my number came up on the CLK55 many months before the M3 hit the streets (due to delays). I drove the CLK for 5 months and had serious buyers remorse the whole time...I really missed the E36 M3 I traded for it. So I sold it. About a month after I got rid of it I drove the E46 M3 demo at my dealership and that's all it took. I knew that I made the right decision and was very excitied to have a car that 'fits' me better. I have zero regrets for choosing the M3 and I'm damn glad I got out of the 55 before the market for them tanked!!! It was a happy day when I saw the proud new owner of that beautiful and fast (but boring to me) car leaving my driveway.

Frank_NJ
10-15-2001, 11:17 AM

Wake up!
10-15-2001, 11:19 AM

Norb
10-15-2001, 11:28 AM

ME!!!
10-15-2001, 11:38 AM
Go with the MB. Most of these BMW guys suck!

Other high performance car owners respect each other and other car makes.

These BMW people have made me ashamed I have EVER owned a BMW.

I would not be proud to say I am part of this group.

J.M3
10-15-2001, 11:43 AM

N Demand
10-15-2001, 11:46 AM
if its not a bmw or M car.Cars are like a drug,we sometimes can be so high on our car that we say things we regret.

MadAboutM3s
10-15-2001, 11:47 AM
The C32 in almost all reviews I've read comes across as a 'blisteringly fast' car IN THE STRAIGHT... However,when it comes to driving it HARD or even enthusiastically, it falls flat!

I am a BMW fan - I'll say that up front. I also recognise Mercs fror what they are, by and large, solid cars but not drivers cars (in the same way BMW's are). I wouldn't question their build quality, prestige, heratige .. whatever.. However, they are NOT (C32 and M3) direct competitors in my eyes.

I see the M3 put up against Porches, Jags, Maseratis, Merc SL's... the list goes on and on. The M3 is truly a great ALL ROUNDER. It can hold it's own (sometimes bettering but never shown up by) the best Sports Coupes, Sports Cars, GT's.

What's more, it's almost always the best 'value for money' car in the test because there are NO cars out there in it's price range that can truly do what it can across such a wide spectrum.

Sure there are faster, more powerfull, accelarative, plush .. blah, blah, blah cars out there. NONE however can satisfy as many demons as the M3.

Want a GT for a cross continent, but whist driving cross continent, you'd like to...:

.Cruise in luxury and comfort.
.Rip through those twisty 'A' and 'B' roads.
.Take on the odd pretender in a 0-60 blast (confident that more often than not you'll be victorious, but knowing you hardly EVER be disgraced)
.When the going get's hairy, have confidence that you've got breaks more than up to the job.

I could go on.

Now the C32 is a fine car and though I can see a serious C32 buyer considering an M3, I doubt a serious M3 buyer would do the same. Without any disrespect to the C32 or those who are big fans of it, I can think of many things that the M3 can do to bring a smile to my face. The C32, after admiring the build and the experience of mashing your right foot to the floor has passed, holds no temptation for me.

That's my opinion anyway...

PS: I live in the UK where a car like the M3 would almost always be more in it's element:

Roundabout's
Sh!t loads of lovely 'A' and 'B' roads
Scarcity of roads where you can drive for more than a minute without having to turn.

In short the escence of driver enjoyment:

Accelerate - break - turn in - power out.....!!!!

The C32 goes like stink
The M3 goes, handles and stops like stink

MadAboutM3s
10-15-2001, 11:48 AM

J.M3
10-15-2001, 11:51 AM
emotions. It takes a more sensitive and understand man to drive a MB. They're more in touch with their feminine sides. BECAUSE ONLY A [censored] WOULD DRIVE A SLUSHBOX AND TRY TO CALL IT A PERFORMANCE VEHICLE.

MB = Man [censored]

-------------
An arrogent snob BMW driver.

M3PWR
10-15-2001, 11:53 AM
always be a-hole that drives all sorts of cars, including BMW.

N Demand
10-15-2001, 11:56 AM

Craig
10-15-2001, 12:24 PM

The Pusher
10-15-2001, 12:37 PM
The cars are nearly equal in performance. You will hear people
on each side saying their car is faster but in general they are
very, very close in performace. The difference comes down to
road conditions, humidity, ambient air temp, tires, and of course
the driver.

The BMW is a sportier car - a little more hard edged. The M3 is
more envolving to drive and I have found elicits more emotion.

The Merc. has a little more emphasis on luxury and the driver is
a little more detached from the experience.

Both are great cars. I would test drive them both if possible
before making a decision.

on the board?
10-15-2001, 01:07 PM

jeff24
10-15-2001, 01:09 PM

danman
10-15-2001, 01:20 PM

2002 AusTex M3
10-15-2001, 01:20 PM
M3:
Better looking than C32
Manual or SMG
Much better handling
Excellent engine

C32:
Auto (if you need it for traffic, get SMG - same total cost for each car if M3 premium package and SMG are ordered)
More reliable based on posts from both boards
Looks too much like a C320
Hi-torque supercharged engine
Lux interior

Based on this I went with the M3.

cliff_837
10-15-2001, 01:31 PM
Ther mercedes cars are for people who want to take their mind off the fact that they are driving and want to relax. BMW's are supposed to be for people who enjoy the driving experience and want to have the most amount of fun behind the wheel as possible. Even though the mercedes has a manual, it's not very good, as MB is known for slushboxes. It's all part of the "forget your in a car" experience that MB is selling. Now, if you want a performance car the M3 is a better choice because it is fun to drive and most BMW owners don't want to see the M3 turn into a car like a mercedes(although this stupid smg is bringing closer). Bottom line- fun car to drive=bmw, car that almost as fast as bmw but relaxes you and puts you to sleep=mercedes

EricM
10-15-2001, 02:06 PM
It's absolutely perplexing to me that Mercedes would go to the expense of building such an impressive hotted-up enthusiasts' C32 and then not go the extra distance to make a manual available. Even if it's expensive and their surveys show only 5-10% of buyers would want one, I think it's FATAL to the car's sporting image. Heck, if that car had a manual I would have considered it and at least gone for a test drive. Maybe I'd be on line for one of those instead of my M3 (doubt it, though).

Allen Schiano
10-15-2001, 02:12 PM
Interesting question. Yesterday, I attended an autoshow here in
Orange Co, Cal. It's a smaller show mosted by MotorTrend. No M3 (and M5) but there was a C32 on display.

Now, I'm pretty committed on an M3 in July, but still wanted to see a C32 up close. Not much chance (or interest now) in getting a test drive of a C32 in this locale. So a car show is about the best I could do.

Anyway, here are my thoughts on the C32 without driving it!

1) The car was placed next to a lot of MBs. Most of tha attention was on a CLK 55 AMG. And their wagons, etc. Very few people noticed the C32 at all. More were looking at the new C class coupe.

Conclusion: NO ONE WILL NOW YOU HAVE A PERFORMANCE CAR! Hence if you want stealth, this car is for you. Since there was no M3 there, I couldn't compare crowd reaction. But the M5 had droves of people around it.

2) Interior: The seats were okay but not as nice as the M3. The dash - tacn and speedo - look weird. the LCD or whatever in front was very distracting. All looked kind of plain. You really care getting a C-class MB here. All the fun is hidden underneath.

3) It's an auto tranny. That's the worst of it. I can see how if you tap it sideways you can try to call the shots on proper gearage but you'll be fighting the auto all day. And chances are you'll give up and just use it as an auto. Not much fun there. Give me SMG anyday or even the manual.

4) Rear seats are nice and easily accesible. That's the real downside with the M3 - why not a sedan! BMW thinks that if you want a sedan get an M5. But that's $25K more! For a door! MB wwill sell many of these cars - if it wants to - to folks like us with kids/wifes/friends that will weigh four doors over a better tranny.

Anyway, I'm still sticking with the M3. If the MB has an SMG tranny, then the only downsides would be the likely higher problems with a supercharger than not. But i would bet that the C32 reliability is slightly better than the M3 - so that's probably a wash.

An lastly, the 'stealth' factor. If you want a performance car for it's performance, why hide it? It the same logic that makes most people on this board want a black or silver M3 - so no one can detect them from the other 3 series...IMHO.

Good luck

MB.......... Frank_NJ
10-15-2001, 02:17 PM

Norb
10-15-2001, 02:29 PM

cliff_837
10-15-2001, 04:05 PM
I

M3PWR
10-15-2001, 04:19 PM

shep01
10-15-2001, 04:24 PM