Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

Rick
11-11-2001, 11:31 AM
Sounds dangerous to be driving a 330 HP car in the white stuff, not to mention what the salt will do the metallic paint. Why not just by a beater and not risk it? I couldn't imagine making it very far in a Northeast snow storm.

MARK
11-11-2001, 11:47 AM

Lazlo
11-11-2001, 11:47 AM
It may be easy to forget if you don't experience it first hand, but if you live in a major city, parking for an extra car may be a real issue. Speaking from experience, finding a place with with one garage parking spot in Boston is hard enough. Finding parking for two cars is boarderline heroic.

With proper snow tires, the car will be fine in the snow. It seems like the biggest asset of the M3 is its practicality, and everyday usability when combined with the high performance aspects. If i can't drive the car every day, then it seems like one of the largest assets of the car disappears. If i am going to get a summer only car, i will likely get something a little less practical than the M3.

Its a car. Just drive it and enjoy it.

Holly McReynolds
11-11-2001, 11:48 AM
I drove my lowered modified E36 M3 all year around with snows.
I plan to drive my M3 also. With all the driving aids it should be
just fine. I happened upon a BMW worlwide page that talked
about the winter testing of the M3 up in the artic. As I always say I
want my new, safe, reliable car in the winter. I was stuck 12
hours in gridlock in a storm last year. I was glad I was in my M3
safe, and comfortable with heated seats , trunk CD changer and
economical reliable car. In fact that is when I decided to sell my
Newly aquired Miata and get my Z3 toy that I really wanted in the
first place.

Marcus
11-11-2001, 11:57 AM
U said:

"It seems like the biggest asset of the M3 is its practicality, and everyday usability when combined with the high performance aspects. If i can't drive the car every day, then it seems like one of the largest assets of the car disappears. "

I dont think you have it right.

The M3 is a car that deserves the very best treatment, and cannot be truely appreciated when driven thru ice and snow. I for one will use my M3 only on perfect sunny warm days. Yes, I live in a big colonial house with 5 acres and a 3 car heated garage in Connecticut so parking/storage isnt an issue, but even if I lived in downtown Boston I'd store my M3 during the winter, because I couldnt really enjoy the car in the ice and snow.

No, the biggest asset of the M3 is its beauty and performance, not its everyday useability.

Andreas
11-11-2001, 12:02 PM
If there's snow, I will... and I must :) It's my only car. I'll be getting my snow tires in ca. 1 week (Pirelli SnowSport)

A.

Jason
11-11-2001, 12:34 PM
It's not a Ferrari or Lamborghini for heaven's sake! A strict sportscar I would agree is a summer only car, i.e. no snow tire availability, very low clearance and much more expensive. The M3 will be perfectly fine due to it's higher clearance than a true sports car, snow tires and weekly car washes will prevent any salt corrosion. Frankly, the M3 isn't an exotic car and I won't treat it like one. 2

///motor///mouth
11-11-2001, 01:13 PM
for lots of good reasons.

1. Despite our hopes and dreams this car will depreciate whether you drive it or not. It is not an exotic and will never be truly "collectible". Why not enjoy it; life is short.
2. When equiped w/ hi-po snows the car will be almost as much fun to drive in winter as in summer. Why drive a beater for four months dreaming about getting back into the m3 when you don't have to?
3. People spend time fussing over how harsh the winter is on a car when in reality it damages the car not at all. The worst part about the winter is bringing the car to a carwash but those swirls can be easily managed in the spring. The impact is reduced w/ less expensive wheels, TiS paint, and in my case, a hardtop.
4. For eight years straight I drove my 944 Turbo-S everyday here in N.Y.. I still own it and it looks absolutely pristine other then some slight fading on the rubber seals (easily delt with w/ dressing).
Having served me so well for so long it has earned Queenship status.

'Voice of Reason'!!! n/t
11-11-2001, 01:50 PM
nt

Andreas
11-11-2001, 03:44 PM

MrLucky
11-11-2001, 03:44 PM
The main reason I traded my beloved '88 911 for the M3 is that the Porsche was hopeless in the winter. Not the drivability - the 911 was EXCELLENT on snow and ice. But the older Porsche climate control is ridiculous - about as effective as a 1963 VW bus.

I bought the M3 to be a year-round daily driver. The M3 isn't rare enough or expensive enough to be a good candidate for a "garage queen". I don't plan to baby it. No Zymol, Zaino, car cover, or even a GARAGE (we live in a village and don't have one). It'll sit out there in the snow with the other cars, getting shat on by the birdies, having branches fall on it when the wind blows, and having the snow and ice scraped off with a rusty snow shovel by a bleary-eyed but cheerful owner on his way to work in the dark (just kidding - I have a well-used plastic brush/scraper) . In a few years it'll be scuffed and rumpled, but it'll be as fast and fun as ever, and I won't have spent any precious weekend hours pushing a rag or sponge around.

In fact, those precious weekend hours are going to REALLY TRASH IT - both the finish and the moving parts. I'm less than an hour from Lime Rock, and my son and I will be flogging the new ride there every chance we get. If the M3 shows the same wear and tear as my Porsche, the front end and lower panels will be pretty scarred and chipped after the first few outings.

Around here we cultivate the "well used but cared for" aesthetic for sports toys. "Battle scars" are evidence of good times and each is a memento of an "experience".

///motor///mouth
11-11-2001, 05:51 PM

Holly McReynolds
11-11-2001, 07:22 PM
My kind of guy. With what I am paying for this car, I will be the
one to wear it out.

///Mthusiast
11-11-2001, 09:28 PM

RAW
11-11-2001, 10:41 PM

Roadfly Home | Car Reviews | Forum Archives Index