Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

Jin
11-11-2001, 12:39 PM
I waited and waited on the waiting list, I had sweared not to pay over sticker price. But I lost patience, so yesterday I went an LA dealer and SPECED out a 2002 M3 Cab with a $3000 premium. With SMGII, cold weather package, HK sound system, Bi-Xenon lights.

The difficulty is color. I like blue but Laguana Secca is too controversial. So I choose the Topaz blue (a new color added on 2002 models) with grey interior, dark blue top. The topaz blue looks find on BMW NA's WEB site. But has anyone seen this color in person? I can still change my mind today.

Jin

mike
11-11-2001, 01:14 PM
Which dealer in LA did you go to? Trust me Topaz blue is a better color than Laguna Seca Blue. Get the matching blue top. Topaz blue is a little darker than Estoril Blue. You cant go wrong with that color. I thought the SMGs dont come out til Feb 2002

spidey
11-11-2001, 01:42 PM

markjenn
11-11-2001, 02:11 PM
If you got to most any BMW dealer's lot, you'll see three or four cars on the lot with Topaz. They probably aren't M3's, but I think you'll get a very good idea of the color on various cars. I'd look at cars first, and not pay much attention to net pictures - there is too much going on between when the picture is shot and when it appears on your monitor.

IMHO, Topaz is a VERY handsome color, but fairly conservative and it looks like it would be about as bad as black from a heat and "keeping clean" standpoint. All the Topaz cars on my dealer's lot look a little scruffy and appear to need a wash even though they cars have been washed a few days earlier. I think Topaz is a very nice luxury car color and looks great on X5s, 530is, and 330i's. On my dealer's lot there was a Topaz X5 and Z3 next to one another and I really liked it on the X5, but it didn't do much for me on the Z3.

Don't pay ANY attention to the colors on BMW's web site. I can barely tell any difference between LSB and Topaz on the web site, but the colors are radically different.

You can look at lots and lots of pictures of cars in various colors at this source:

http://home.pacbell.net/atomo/e46m3_faq.html#photos

Don't let people on this board influence you too much - they don't represent everyone. You have to live with the color, get what your eye likes.

FWIIW, I'm ordering a sports car first, so my order is LSB, but I can still change and occasionally I think AW might be a relatively unusual but fun color. I'm definitely going non-metallic.

Here is the best picture I've found which matches the look of the LSB I saw on my dealer's lot when he had one, at least on my monitor.

http://members.aol.com/rrp2/M3a/M32.jpg

Have fun,

- Mark

Juanjo
11-11-2001, 03:20 PM
It is a veeeery nice color. It is relatively conservative but extremely nice. I have mine on order for Dec production January availabilty but Cinnamon interior. I am not partial to the grey interior since it is very light and gets dirty rather easily (just my opionion) The blue top looks better than the black.

Juan

11-11-2001, 03:43 PM

Jin
11-11-2001, 05:55 PM
It is from New Century BMW in Alhambra. It is an 2002 that I ordered, they dealer said the car will be delivered in 2-3 months.

Roadfly Home | Car Reviews | Forum Archives Index