Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

Peter
11-11-2001, 06:20 PM
Trying to decide on the color. I saw steel gray on an old M3...looked great. I have a silver car now, and don't think I want another one, although it is one of the better colors IMO. However, I am concerned at the large number of TiSi cars out there now. Carbon Black is nice, but really hard to keep a black car looking great all of the time. I would have considered blue, but LSB is, well, LSB; and Topaz is not the right color for this M.

Thoughts, opinions?

MrLucky
11-11-2001, 06:23 PM

StL Don Topaz 155
11-11-2001, 06:50 PM
Just kidding - that's why they make different colors.

I like silver, but it is just too common and like you have had enough silver cars. Just today I stopped by local dealer and there were 3 TS M3s there. Of the M3s I've seen in St. Louis almost every one has been TS.

I saw CB in the sun today. I was afraid I was going to regret changing my order from CB to Topaz, but no. If you like black it is a fantastic color, but even in bright sun most view angles showed me a black car... the blue view was stunning though.

SG... IMO pretty boring color for an M3. Maybe because the ones I've seen have had black or grey interior. IMO SG cries out for IR interior.

Have fun deciding. We've all been through this.

D

GregW in Oregon
11-11-2001, 09:29 PM
on the M3 than normal 3-series. I think it is the best color, but I understand your concern about it being too common. I went with a Cinnaomon interior, which spices it up considerabley. Steel Gray looks pretty dull to me. Have you considered ordering a special color for a couple grand? Sterling Gray would be fantastic.

mscottNSCP
11-11-2001, 09:40 PM
I was recently at the same impass as you. I had initially ordered TiSi with Cinnamon but then decided as nice as the silver was it was just too common out here in the Bay Area. Although I agree with GregW that it does look different for some reason over the TiSi on the 3 and 5 series I see out here. Don't know why that is. I ended up switching to SG because there were just too many silver BMWs out here.

Duckworth
11-11-2001, 09:54 PM
I have a 328Ci in Steel Gray. It looks great and is quite easy to keep clean (light dust and water marks don't stand out like they do on, say, Carbon Black). While it is not as bold as Imola or LSB, it has a classic, German-car look.

From the front, M3s in dark colours (CB or Black) tend to lose some of the distinct 'M look' because the large air intakes are not as prominent.

My neighbour has an M3 in CB. It is interesting -- varies from metallic blue to virtually black, depending on the light.

I may spec my M3 in Steel Gray with Imola Red interior to give it greater edge. Would also consider Sterling Gray, if available as a special order.

gagnu
11-11-2001, 10:11 PM

Ermanno
11-11-2001, 11:30 PM

waitfor1200
11-11-2001, 11:34 PM
Had SG 323Ci - very nice color and carried the dirt well. Once a week wash was more than enough to keep it looking smart. IMHO Silver is a great color but has become the color of choice for way too many buyers in all vehicle categories. The M3 looks fantastic on its own specs, but always nice to have color that differentiates. That's why they build a scale from CB to IMR to LSB... not easy pickin's, but they make you think about it........... I chose CB and have had too many comments to mention in 3 days - I'll get back to you on maintenance in a year.

aeonflux
11-12-2001, 12:06 PM
So what if there are a larger number of TiSil cars than anything else? Who gives a rat's patootie? Get the color you enjoy looking at the most and be happy with it.

Roadfly Home | Car Reviews | Forum Archives Index