Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

A. Vandalay
11-12-2001, 04:02 PM
What are people's opinions on car washing. When I was in high school, I used to wash cars in the service dept. at Mercedes benz, and we used lamb wool mitts, car wash liquid and water. Then we'd use a chamois to dry it, but all the cars had swirls in the paint.

I don't know if that's the best idea. I would prefer to use do it yourself pressure washers, but I hear conflicting reports of it being good/bad for the paint. what are some of the opinions of people on this board?

shep01
11-12-2001, 04:10 PM
use a high quality microfiber mit & high end car wash - dry w/ synth chamois P/s2 etc - many great sites on line to find this stuff - i like supreme but griot's garage is good also - leaves the car perfect

Aman
11-12-2001, 04:19 PM

Cabby
11-12-2001, 04:23 PM

TwistyM3
11-12-2001, 04:35 PM

ron
11-12-2001, 04:40 PM

A. Vandalay
11-12-2001, 04:59 PM

Marcus
11-12-2001, 05:41 PM
...latex salesman? I dont think so!

a little help here. A. Vandalay
11-12-2001, 06:21 PM

MARK
11-12-2001, 06:31 PM
Nothing will EVER touch my car, only the high pressure water and soap combined, its hard to drive in the touchless car washes too since i just lowered my car, i dont want to risk anything also, plus they SUCK! and the dryer hits your car on the way out :) where i live anyway...

and to dry it of course use an expensive chamois

smaz
11-12-2001, 06:40 PM
hopefully you'll get some expert opinions -as this is intesting. i use my own pressure washer and don't see any signs of problems although my car is silver -- so it would be good to know if i am damaging it. The pressure washer is great for wheels with lots of brake dust and "windows." I don't know how to solve the swirl problem. I just bought a polisher from mcquires (sp) but haven't watched the video or tried it out yet. carbon black on the way, so i am concerned.

PMiranda
11-12-2001, 06:58 PM
#1 Always use tons of clean fresh water. The problem with the pressure wash type places is they often "filter" and recycle their water, so it's full of junk.

#2 Only use clean, natural brushes or cloths. Wash them in liquid detergents, not powered ones.
(Originally I only used cotton towels or cotton -covered wash sponges, but recently I've started using the Griot's Garage boar's hair brush. So far, so good on Leman Blue)

#3 After you've touched the dirty car with a cloth or brush, clean it before you put it back in your soap bucket, or you just transfer dirt from one part of your car to another. See #1

#4 Start at the top and work your way down. Basically do the cleanest parts first, and end with the dirtiest ones. Wheels last. See #1

#5 If you're a real fanatic, keep two buckets of soapy water and at least two washing items, one to use, and one or more that can soak to ensure that all the dirt comes out. Rotate them. See #1

#6 Make sure you always have plenty of bubbles/lather. Soap doesn't just remove dirt from the car, it encapsulates it so the dirt can be rinsed away without touching the car any more. See #1

#7 See #1 again just in case :-)

#8 Always use front-to-back motions to clean, so that any scratches that do occur will be aligned, and therefore only visible from one angle. If you use a circular motion, you with get swirl marks visible from any angle!

#9 To dry, use a real chamois or microfiber "miracle towel". See #8

#10 Always keep a good coat of wax or Zaino on the car. This protects the paint from sunlight, oxidation, and of course dirt, tree sap, bird droppings, etc. Otherwise your paint is naked to these evils and will quickly degrade. When applying, see #8.

#11 If you do want to address scratches or swirl marks, use the least agressive approach possible. Simple wax might sufficiently cover a problem, but you always have wax on the car, so you wouldn't notice that, right ?
Try a glaze first, it simply fills scratches in the clear coat, and is safe.
Next, a gentle polish (which is actually contained in most waxes) will chemically or abrasively remove some material around the scratch to make it less noticeable.
Finally a swirl mark remover might address more serious problems.
If these didn't work, professional compounding or touchup may be needed. You're probably better off leaving it alone.
Oh yeah, see #8. If you want to avoid these in the first place, see #1.

#12 Never attempt to remove dust or contaminents without some lubrication (ie quick detailer spray). See #1 and #2.

#13 Never let tree sap or bird droppings stay on the car any longer than possible. See #12

#14 Salt and sand kill. If you have winter, move south until it goes away :-)

A. Vandalay
11-12-2001, 07:20 PM

SW
11-12-2001, 11:54 PM

MattV
11-13-2001, 01:15 AM
The water goes down the drain and into a filteration system. Yes a very good one, but the only problem is that it cant take the salt out, so if some dude in a jeep went beachin and then washed his car, you got salt on your paint! If you live in New England then your screwed anyways so just wax your car well before winter.

Roadfly Home | Car Reviews | Forum Archives Index