Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

gave you? Craig
11-12-2001, 08:13 PM
I would be curious as to what you found out.

StoneWalk
11-12-2001, 08:32 PM
I appreciated the opportunity, but as I sat down to decide which issues I wanted to browbeat them with and who to call, I found myself hesitating, since several of them have been addressed and I would be fighting more of a "why didn't you fix that earlier" sort of battle which is often not very productive. I wanted something clear and tangible to go after, and something that I think there's a prayer of making progress on. Just venting at them would not be useful - I vent plenty here after all :)

Some of my original issues with BMWNA were:

1. Why the Topaz embargo?
2. Why no access whatsoever to special order and special paint?
3. Why force-fit gloss black trim?
4. Why send allocations to dealers that gouge?
5. (more recently) the SMG+PDC fiasco.

So you can see that slowly, belatedly, BMWNA has fixed many of my original issues. They still force-fit trim on our cars, but Topaz is finally here, special orders are being accepted, gouging is dying out (certainly not due to BMWNA actions), and they went to bat for us on the SMG+PDC thing.

So what would I do - go in there and abuse them on force-fit trims, and maybe beg for access to Individual? Those seem the most relevant of my remaining causes, but I'm figuring they are aware of the perspective I and others hold on things like trim...

So I'm holding back. I don't want to burn time with important people on little issues, and I'm currently feeling like I should cut BMWNA some slack in honor of the PDC thing.

I will keep an eye on them, and jump on the phone if I see further nonsense afoot. But meanwhile I'm going to keep hanging out here and doing more of a grassroots information campaign rather than launch a telephonic offensive strike.

I would love to engage the right person at BMWNA in a discussion of changing their entire thinking process away from the one that brought us all of my original complaints, but I do not believe I'd ever find the right person to talk to about things at that level...

$0.02

Craig
11-12-2001, 08:43 PM
...although I'm rather surprised you don't want to at least take on the gouging issue with them. However, in the future you may find you need to discuss more important issues with them, issues like dependability and warranty service, especially if problems like Jason's and Kiwi's and Bcar's become more widespread.

In general, I agree that there isn't much point in fighting battles that have already been won and in saving the "big gun" in case you need it to win the war. Let's hope the "war" is almost over.

Craig

Of course, there's always the Chris Bangle thing...

scorpio
11-12-2001, 08:54 PM

what to charge. High or low (nt) RAY
11-12-2001, 11:06 PM

StoneWalk
11-13-2001, 02:01 AM
You are thinking of price fixing laws.

Those laws are there to prevent a maker from forcing vendors to charge an artificially _high_ price across the board. The law is there to protect the customer.

I do not believe there is any case law supporting use of those laws in the reverse direction as you claim. Makers can and do put pressure on vendors to not charge _more_ than a certain price on a product.

And BMW does not even have to put any restrictions on dealer gouging. They can simply allocate M3's to dealers that don't do so. Dealers can gouge all they want, and when they do, next months supply of M3's goes elsewhere. It's simple, effective, and perfectly legal.

Sony forced Toys R Us to sell PlayStations at list price despite the buying frenzy - it was not contested in court. A thousand other examples abound. Makers can and do find out about abusive vendors, and makers are 100% within their rights to wholesale their products to _more_ _competitive_ _reatilers_. What you suggest is that BMW is legally obligated to give M3's to dealers no matter what the dealer wants to charge. It aint so.

Roadfly Home | Car Reviews | Forum Archives Index