Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

Jules
11-13-2001, 09:51 AM
Hey folks, I need a little help. I currently have a 2001 530IA and LOVE IT!! However, I am transfering to Germany in Jan 02 and have an opportunity to buy a new M3 with little wait (Jan, Feb delivery) if I decide soon. I would like some honest unbiased (if possible) opinions on your M3's. Other than the the obvious awesome power, what other things do you like about it. I am spoiled by all the creature features on my 530 which I don't think come in any 3 series including the M3. Things like, heated steering wheel, electric headrest, dual climate control (probably not necessary in 3 series given smaller size). Your inputs would be greatly appreciated! It will be very difficult to leave my 530.

Jules
possible new M3 owner

atyclb™
11-13-2001, 09:53 AM

Tim
11-13-2001, 09:56 AM

DMS
11-13-2001, 10:04 AM
I don't think the M3 is spartan at all (more goodies than in the old M3 at any rate). However if you can't live without things like electric headrests, then I would definitely look elsewhere. The M3 doesn't try to pamper you, it's a sports car first and foremost, the luxury aspect comes second.

///AYN
11-13-2001, 10:05 AM

EMTREY
11-13-2001, 10:26 AM
Different cars---first it appears your 530 is automatic--
530(wifes car) is a luxury sport sedan--m-3 more a sports car
with a backseat---I am trading from M roadster to M-3 for lack
of space and miss luxury of larger BMW--I think the M-3 is a great
provider of both---super perfomance and most amenities available
on 5 series cars---but do not kid yourself--it rides firmer is
louder(thank god)and will run like hell---if you want everthing..
get an M-5 ( if $$ not a problem)...can not go wrong either way--
decision comes down to what you want in a car...but 530vs m-3 not
really a fair comparison..aplles and oranges..also I think resale
wiil be much greater on m-3...good luck deciding. My m-3 is due
at dealer tomorrow and I can hardly wait...

fr1end2u
11-13-2001, 11:24 AM
Drove both here. One thing I notice instantly is that the M3 is alot louder and the handling is much firmer. What can I say...the M3 is more like a sports car and the 530 is more 'luxurious'. The only way to find out for sure is to test drive the M3. I did, and I ended up driving it home!

ToTheEnd
11-13-2001, 11:39 AM
Hey Jules,

I do agree with most that EMTREY said. To compare an M3 with a 5 series... It is not fair! However, here are a few more words about it.

1. The 5 series is going to be replaced by the end of 2002... To take a 5 now would mean that you will loose some $ in one year because your car will be an old model.
2. If you want to keep all those "nice" features and a more responsive car (powerful?), try to take a look at a 535i or, if you like large engines (smooth?), the 540i. However, I do recommend, if $ is not an issue, to try the M5 before buying it... A friend of mine wanted something powerful and more comfortable after his Porsche (Boxter), well, he is sallying it now because he found it too "nervous". Don't ask me what is wrong in his head... You should see his wife... Only a guy with mental disorders could have married that girl!!!
3. From where are you going to Germany? US? England? I know it sounds stupid, but taxes and gas are an issue in Germany compared with where you are coming from (gas for example is 3 to 4 times more expensive in Germany compared with US).
4. From a usual use and perspective, the 5s and 3s are quiet different for the space you get (it get quickly boring to put kids in the back of the seats in a 3 coupe), parking slots (remember, Europe is not like US, our parking slots are smaller here. One 5 is 4m775 and a 3C is 4m48).

Ok, I know those are small issues, just my 2 cents (and my poor English)!

Longhorn
11-13-2001, 11:42 AM
If the creature comforts are what you want, heck get a LS430. They got comforts coming out of their asses. :) The M3 is a different car and while I certainly would rather have a track bred race car as a daily driver, I can understand those that don't. I almost got a C32 and would HIGHLY recommend one as it has more of those comforts that you seem to want.....

Longhorn
11-13-2001, 11:42 AM
If the creature comforts are what you want, heck get a LS430. They got comforts coming out of their asses. :) The M3 is a different car and while I certainly would rather have a track bred race car as a daily driver, I can understand those that don't. I almost got a C32 and would HIGHLY recommend one as it has more of those comforts that you seem to want.....

Jules
11-13-2001, 02:32 PM
Thanks for the words. One small point of clarification is that I currently own my 2001 530IA here in Ohio. I have an opportunity to buy a new M3 in Germany when I transfer there in Jan 02. My point was to understand the real differences between the M3 and 530. I really love my 530 here in the US where I really had no "need" for going 0-60 in 4.8 sec. or greater than 128 mph any more than I "need" an electric headrest. I WOULD certainly enjoy and appreciate the power of an M3 in Germany more than I EVER could here in the US. It's enough to stay out of jail with my 5 much less than a M3:) On the concern of gas, I am military and will pay a discounted price for gas while there. I will be at Ramstein AB. I guess I will have to realy consider an M3 in another couple of years while I am there and my kids are off to college. I still "need" the 5 series space while they travel with me. I do A LOT of traveling since I bought my 5er. 54 weeks old and 31+k miles:) I DO LOVE it! Maybe I'll wait until I can get the two tone seats I saw on the German BMW site. SWEET!

Anyway, thanks for the words. An M5 would certainly solve my problems but $$ is always a limiting factor:(

tiggs
11-13-2001, 02:44 PM

Marantzer
11-13-2001, 03:14 PM
A lot depends on why you are considering the M3. If it is for pure driving pleasure, the M3 will win hands down(against 530). If you want a luxury car with a little more power, trade the 530 for the 540. Remember, if you are going to be in Europe, you have a much wider selection of performance cars, but you will also have a much higher gas bill. Hope this helps, I may be moving to Europe also after I get my car!

Roadfly Home | Car Reviews | Forum Archives Index