Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

rjohnson
11-17-2001, 10:47 AM
I would like to add two-way speakers to an '89 speedster, the door cranks are located where the factory tweeter would normally have been.

If there are some Speedster owners/experts reading this, please advise:

Were automatic windows an option on the Speedster?

Were two-way speakers an option?

If one could get two-ways and keep the window crank, I'd be curious to know the placement of the tweeter.

The manual for '89 (911 Turbo and Carrera) indicates that to access the port to hand-crank the windows (if the automatic function fails), one should remove the tweeter grill, then remove the tweeter 'if installed'...does this mean that all '89 models had tweeter grills, but unless an upgraded stereo was included there was no tweeter installed behind that grill? Thanks in advance

RJ

Charlie R.
11-18-2001, 10:15 AM
you couldn't get electric windows or the stereo upgrade. As a matter of fact I remember that the stereo was automatically deleted and you had to ask for it. Hmm?

Sorry can't be more helpful. Don't cut your door panels whatever you do. Your car is to valuable.

robert
11-21-2001, 04:28 PM
Don't install the speakers, PERIOD!!!!!!!! The 89 speedster is a precious car in an unmolested condition. Once you begin making modifications your value takes a nosedive. I have a 89 speedster I never listen to the radio. I'm to busy enjoying the sound of the engine.

Nick Campagna
12-05-2001, 06:41 PM
Get either some smaller kick panel pods and mount them in the absokute corners of the kick panels (this would only be one screw through carpet, and would have the best sound staging from conventional speakers. You can have a stereo shop make a set of pods that would fit a 5 1/4 and a tweeter, these would be so small that it would be very easy to get used to (Ive had them in a 944 before and it did not bother my foot room at all. Another optoion is wave guides, these are (or were, I havent been competing in Car Stereo for a few years) made by a company called Image Dynamics- They are real neat as one can simply zip tie them under the das and make no holes at all- and they are real efficient and sound great.

Nick

john
01-04-2002, 03:50 PM
kick panels are the way to go. I have 2 high end car audio shops and have worked as well as own a porsche and if you want to do as little mods as possible go with them. they will take up some space though and can be pricey ( done right ). you have to find a good shop in your area and ask to see some of the ones they have made. good ones are going to be hand made out of fleece and fiberglass and will be wrapped in vinyl to match the car. just the panels would run between 300 to 500 dollars. if you can get new door panels you can take the originals off and save them and put the new ones on and put a component set in them very easy or coax. and when you are ready to sell put the original ones back on. there is a factory hole aready cut in the metal bottom of the doors.

Roadfly Home | Car Reviews | Forum Archives Index