Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

Chris
12-07-2001, 11:00 PM
Is anyone familiar with excessive exhaust smoke during cold starts? The dealer tells me this is normal. Doesn't seem normal to me and is embarrassing when in public parking areas. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Chris

Gordon
12-09-2001, 01:28 PM
This happens on my car also. I have read on another board that this is quite normal for a boxster engine. Apparently due to the engine configuration a very small amount of oil can collect on the top of the pistons and this results in the white smoke on startup. I wouldn't worry about it.

Carzzi
12-12-2001, 12:31 PM
That's because a little oil seeps past the rings and burns up upon startup. This is normal simply because of the layout of the cylinders, horizontal, on their side (H-6). Gravity. Not much to be done.

In a regular engine (say, a BMW straight six) the pistons face the sky. So the oil does not seep into the combustion area, when parked.

jonathan
12-27-2001, 07:08 PM

Marc Warden
01-08-2002, 03:10 PM
Some smoke at start up is OK, comes from a little oil seeping past the rings into the combustion chambers.

However, the smoke should go away in just seconds. If it persists, then it could indicate something else is wrong.

Sincerely,

MarcW.

Roadfly Home | Car Reviews | Forum Archives Index