Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

flyfast_93
12-10-2001, 12:54 AM
I spent the rather large sum of Money for all new weather stripping and a new top. Sure looks nice, but... it still leaks air and water.
It even has some large gaps- the biggest above the drive side small window - about 1/4". I was told that is normal???
I have heard some suggest getting wetsuit material and cutting thin strips to adhere and build it up.

Any experience with this/good luck???

Thanks,
Andrew

Peter Seow
12-10-2001, 02:05 AM
I believe ALL soft top cars leaking depend on the degree they might be considered to be normal..... My Lotus elan se turbo leak from new ..... so did merc sl(the best of the soft tops)... unless your are collecting a rather large amount of water it would be considered normal.....especially leaks from the end on the door(normal) ...leak naer the front windscreen isn't normal slight leak from the front edge where the window glass meets the rubber are again normal.

Martin
12-10-2001, 05:19 AM
I have an 83' 911sc Cabriolet and it still sills very good, there was a small gap on the drivers window that when pushed gently with the thumb it would close firmly under the rubber, so it was adjusted.
Make sure your windows are adjusted in the best way to fit the rubbers.
Again, soft tops where never meant to go under a power wash or a car washing machine.
Good luck

Heinz
12-11-2001, 08:15 AM
It is possible to stop all leaks, many things come into play.
Try checking these first.
1. Front seal may not be seated all the way into it's groove, it takes a lot of effort to get this right.
2.There is some adjustment in the front latch(if yours has the roller type,if you have the hook type check for tightness)
3.The whole window frame can be moved up to meet the side seal.
4. Sometimes when people rebuild these tops they have no idea what they are doing, if they didn't put sealant under the drip rails water will pour in. If there is excessive thickness in the wrong places it will make the top ride too high. If the front edge dosen't sit down below the windshield frame you will have wind noise.
hope this helps

Roadfly Home | Car Reviews | Forum Archives Index