Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

Adam
12-14-2001, 07:32 PM
I have a 1969 911 targa that I am looking to make a daily driver. First I will fully restore the car and rebuild the engine. I'm thinking http://www.motormeister.com .. is this place good?? 2.0 L engine rebuilt for 2795 bucks. I heard of the 2.7 and 3.0 engines as being bad because they only last 50k. Can a 1969 911 with a flat 6 2.0 L engine be a daily driver?? Or should I garage it and get a vette? This is my first car and just by working on it, I because attached to it and will not sell. :)

Hambone
12-17-2001, 05:11 PM
Adam,

Unless you really enjoy pain and spending lots of money, the older 911's will not be a satisfactory daily driver. The 2.7 engine is arguably the worst one in the 911 series. The metalurgy was wrong and they self destructed on a regular basis from overheating. The 911 SC engine is relatively bullet-proof by comparison and develops more power as well.

Get the vette and keep the old 911 as a garage queen for special ocassions.

Adam
12-18-2001, 10:38 PM
Spending lots of money on what? Remember I wish to keep this car origianl. I'm thinking of rebuilding my whole engine for $3,000 at www.motormeister.com . Does anyone know about them? They gave me the cheapest price and seem to be the biggest motor rebuilders on the internet. (The only local porsche rebuilder by me is a dealer and they are asking $10,000. I can buy a fully restored porsche for that price.)
Thanks for past help!!!!!!!
Please reply if you can help. Thank you.

Hopkinskid
12-22-2001, 02:58 AM
Adam,

I suggest you go to www.pelicanparts.com and go to the 911 BBS, or www.rennlist.com and go to their message boards. I'm sure you'll get a great number of responses from very knowledgeable Porsche owners at these two sites. They will definitely have an opinion on motormeisters, and everyone on those two message boards are very helpful. They helped me buy a 1983 911 SC.

Hopkinskid

Peter Seow
12-25-2001, 02:09 PM
I suggest you keep it in a garage...but they aren't that unrelaible and can be used as everday cars...if you maintain them well ....my sc is used almost everyday. I know of a friend who uses his 2 l everyday without problems

Keith Sheu
01-02-2002, 02:59 PM
DOn't have any experience wioth Motor Meister, but have heard via Rennlist that many are not pleased with their results. THere are a few that have had positive results, but not nearly as many. I wouldn't skimp on having a rebuild done wrong, it will cost more eventually. I would suggest having Derick at Lomita 911 doing the rebuild, he is knowledgable, honest and will do it right. their number is 310-534-3631. Derick does all the work on my 80 911 SC Targa and it runs great!

Keith

Adam
01-03-2002, 04:48 PM
310 area code?? You must be far away. Mine is 973. Hey Hambone, this is a 69 Targa which is one of the last carbs. I heard they are very reliable but slower than mfi. Is this true?....... looks like image didnt show...... here we go

Adam
01-03-2002, 04:50 PM

Roadfly Home | Car Reviews | Forum Archives Index