Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

Kuen Cheung
01-03-2002, 03:11 PM
Hi There

i need some help with my uncle's 1985 930.
he hasn't started the car in over 10 years .
it has been sitting in his garage and has 33000 kms on it.

i need to know what i need to do 1st to get it running again.

i live in vancouver bc canada and if anyone knows of someone or a garage with this expertise please let me know

any information will be greatly appreciated

kuen

Dan Brosman
01-04-2002, 09:49 PM
Kuen Cheung
First, find out if fuel saver was put in the tank when it was put into storage, if it was, put a new battery in it and fire it up, warm it up, shut it off, change the oil, oil filter, fuel filter, air filter, check the brake system for operation, flush and refill if operational or repair as needed, and enjoy!
If "fuel saver" was not put in the tank, drain what fuel is left, pull the screen out of the tank, clean screen and "boil-out" the tank if necessary, reseal or replace the tank, replace the fuel filter, check the fuel pump for operation, if working, flush fresh fuel through the fuel distributor and injectors, replace above components as needed, fire the engine , see above for balance of the work to be done.
Dan

Biff
01-16-2002, 05:40 PM
As well as taking care of the old the fuel (mentioned in other post) I would disconnect the battery, drain and replace the oil, remove the spark plugs and introduce a little oil into each cyclinder and attempt to turn over the engine by hand with the plugs still removed. If the engine turns over freely, isolate the ignition leads (so that no sparks ignite any petrol vapour) connect a charged up battery and turn the engine over (with the plugs still removed) for about 30 secs to distribute oil throughout the engine. Fit a new set of plugs, reconnect the ht leads, add fresh fuel and fire up the engine.
You will need a new of tyres and the shocks will probably be leaking fluid. After that keep replacing parts that are seized or rusted up until you run out of money. :-)

Roadfly Home | Car Reviews | Forum Archives Index