Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

trippcat
01-14-2002, 10:24 AM
I spent the weekend at Road Atlanta (awesome track!)... I concur with every other post that the absolute weakist link in the E46 are the brakes. Ran into fade issues towards the end of each session (on the back stretch dropping from 130+ down to about 45). And on the drive home, I could tell the stock rotors are slightly warped (which I kind of expected)... Anyway, has anyone found the right set up? I've seen in other posts that the Euro rotors (while much better) have the same warping issues at the track. I'm looking for a $1000 solution (I'd prefer not to drop the dough on a $6000 brembo solution). I don't spend every weekend at the track, but I'd like to have more confidence in my brakes the once or twice a year that I go.

William
01-14-2002, 11:08 AM
I am not yet planing to track my upcoming car, but since the M3 brakes in the USA are the SAME 330i rotors (not good enough when you have so much extra HP!) I am planing on putting the Euro Rotors ASAP.

These combined with good aftermarket sport brake pads might be good enough for occasional track use as you plan to do. I like Pagid Blue sport pads myself, but one other has been recommended here before (can not remember right now).

For $1000, the ONLY choise you have is the Euro Rotor and Sport pad route. Anything better will be at least $2k - you might want to look into StopTech - their floating rotor and caliper has received good reviews.

William

Bcar
01-14-2002, 11:19 AM

Simon (evosport)
01-14-2002, 11:21 AM
A Euro rotor with Pagid Blues (front only right now) is a good combo for track. Just be careful if you plan to keep the same rotors on/off the track as changing pads constantly may cause uneven wear on the rotors.

If in the future you are seriously going to track the car more frequently and run on tracks with heavy braking, even the Euro rotors will experience brake fade, though not as quickly as stock. A big brake kit would be the ideal solution, although I understand your budget. By the way, the Brembo 14" kit is about $3,000 not $6,000 :)

Regardless, it's important to understand the limits of the car and the driver. If the car is not well equipped with proper braking, for example, to reach a desired speed into a braking zone, then the choices are to either alter your driving style, modify the vehicle to accomodate the task at hand or learn some advanced threshold braking techniques :)

Simon
evosport

CSL
01-14-2002, 12:03 PM
really helps the highspeed cooling.

SMGM3
01-14-2002, 12:06 PM
First, thanks for the info about fade at the track. I suspected this would be the case. I am going to occasionally track my car (6-7 times a year), so I'll be running into the same problems. I've heard good things about the Stoptech kit, and I may go with that. The only thing I'm concerned about is the fact that I will lose the "free maintance" on the brakes after I do this. I'm debating whether to keep the stock pads, and just have the dealer replace them every so often, since it'll be free. Decisions, decisions.

trippcat
01-14-2002, 12:16 PM
I agree with you.... Especially the part about braking techniques. On day 2, an instructor helped me focus on waiting longer before appling brakes and being more direct (ultimately limiting the amount of time the brakes were applied). While my thoughts were that this would heat the rotors more, it was just the opposite... I found that I could last the entire session without getting into the horrible fade problems I experienced on day 1.

The Brembo price was for Front & Rear (although Rear not released yet). Are you suggesting that I really need to upgrade the front and not so much the rear? Should I put the Euro rotors on the rear as well?

thanks for great comments!

trippcat
01-14-2002, 12:19 PM
I do have the "Cold Weather Package" and the car did come with the brake covers... However, they were not in place... I removed them the first day I had the car. Good Suggestion.

Also, I never pulled the emergency brake after a session (this can cause warping as well).

Simon (evosport)
01-14-2002, 01:38 PM
There really is no reason to upgrade the rear. Keep in mind that just about all the braking is done by the front. Unless you are racing, the front brake kit is more than enough, trust me. I would do the front kit and upgrade the rear rotors to the Euro rotor to help dissipate heat in the rear, in addition to maintaining the cross-drilled look. I've driven an E46 M3 on track with the front kit and the car is very well balanced. Braking is so much improved (it's lierally night and day) and you feel so much more comfortable in the late braking zones that you don't say, "Oh, shXX!!!" as often.

Shoot me an email at simon@evosport.com and I will send you a package price on all the items.

Simon
evosport

Jim Hodel
01-14-2002, 05:26 PM
like Motul 600 or ATE Super Blue? It really helps with the fade problem. Also, depending on how hard you were driving, the stock pads may have overheated resulting in poor braking performance. Try a more agressive pad and high temp fluid before springing for the big upgrade.

Jim

trippcat
01-14-2002, 05:56 PM
Switched to Super Blue at the track. Thank goodness for the Panoz group that was assisting with the event. I also highly recommend bleeding the brakes prior to a track event (the drained fluid that came out after my first session was pretty bad). The switch did help some... I'm sure pads will help, but I've got the feeling that even with pads the rotors are likely to warp under the high temps.

Roadfly Home | Car Reviews | Forum Archives Index