Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

DrewT
01-17-2002, 05:19 PM
I am looking at buying a 1979 911SC Targa. When I cut the car off smoke came out of the defrost vent. Is this a sign of anything bad?
Thanks for any advise you can give me. Car has 100,000 miles.

Martin
01-18-2002, 04:47 AM
the heat exchangers might have gone.
This is not cheap to replace.
Get them checked.

Dan Brosman
01-18-2002, 10:57 AM
More than likely the engine is leaking oil and some has got down into the heat exchangers. You should have a pre purchase inspection done on the car before you consider buying it. I just did work on a '79 Targa that Jim Patrick has down at Patrick Motorsport in Phoenix. We resealed the engine, installed stainless heat exchangers, powder painted all the engine sheet metal, resealed the injection system and gave it a complete tune-up. We also installed a sport muffler, sport shocks, nice tires, and a new battery. The car has never had any major damage. It needs some minor paint and body work. If you're anywhere close to Phoenix you should take a look at this rust free Arizona car. Call Jim at 602-244-0911, He's right next to the airport and would be happy to pick you up.

Roadfly Home | Car Reviews | Forum Archives Index