Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

Ki
01-23-2002, 11:25 PM
I have a '80 911 SC Targa and would like to convert it into a Cab. Does anyone have any experience or instructions they would be willing to share?

Thanks...........Ki
kchun@luxul.net

Mark
01-24-2002, 12:42 AM
I have an 80 911SC Cab.
Not sure where the conversion was done as I just purchased it late last year. The previous owner did not have the conversion done so he didn't know either.

Just thought you might want to know the conversion turned out great.
You can't tell the difference between my cab and an 83SC factory Cabriolet.
Let me know if you would like me to send you a couple of pictures.

Wish I could be more help.

Mark

Martin
01-24-2002, 05:55 AM
I own an 83' 911SC Cabriolet and I can't help you much regarding how or where to do the convertion, however I can tell you that the body is exactly the same (after you take off the roll bar), only one thing wouldn't be the same and that is the strength and how rigid the body would be after that.
In a Targa, the roll bar and the rear curved window actually are responsible for the rigidity of the body and in a factory cab. that was achieved by making the floor pans stronger and thicker.
I guess that won't make too much difference in an everyday drive or even long fun trips, however in track days or driving it hard it will be noticed or maybe even "twist" the chassis. I think there are ways to make it stronger somehow.
Good Luck.

Porschenut
01-24-2002, 01:07 PM
I've seriously considered this job for my 82 Targa and also accumulated some parts needed. I'm going to sum it up like this, after doing all the math, I've just decided to sell my car and buy something else. If you still want to go ahead with the job here are some pointers, (my disclaimer: this is from info I've gleened from other sources, not from experience):

1. You can only use a cabriolet top from a 1983 - 1985 cabriolet. The latching mechanism was changed after 85 and isn't compatible with the SC targa latching mechanism. It can be converted by reshaping the metal on the top of the window frame for use with a newer top, but that's not very original. You could also buy the top window frame from a newer wrecked car and have it welded in place of yours to work with a newer top but that's a lot of work. The newer tops are also powered tops and the SC wasn't. If you want power, it's lots more work, parts and $$.
2. You won't have a factory original looking cab because when the SC cab came out in 83, Porsche got rid of the red handled heater levers between the front seats and went to the newer system. Apparently there's also some sort of shock that mounts in the engine bay somewhere, I've never seen one, all I know is that they're pretty hard to find on the used market. This part isn't absolutely necessary for a conversion.
3. You'll also need the cabriolet top mounting brackets that weld onto the frame of the car. You'll have to source these from Porsche for $5-600 or cut some off of a wrecked car.
4. There's a lot of labour and paintwork involved, (about $1500)
5. The top is going to cost you about $2500 for a rare SC top, more for a Carrera top.

If you still want to go through with it, I can sell you the aformentioned mounting brackets for cheap.

Good luck.

Dan Brosman
01-25-2002, 12:32 AM
I have done the conversion before. Buy Porschenut's brackets, Call me I'll help you find the correct top, any competent body shop can do the actual install. It isn't any big deal. I have a SC targa in my garage that I'm going to do just that to, as soon as I finish the complete Turbo conversion that I'm doing.

Roadfly Home | Car Reviews | Forum Archives Index