Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

Steve
01-26-2002, 04:44 PM
I live in Europe and was thinking about buying a 2.7leter 1977 Porsche 911 Carrera. The car has about 100,000 miles on it, but it is in mint condition. Their is not a scratch on it. The engine was just rebuilt recently and the transmition is in great shape. The only part on the car that is not origional is the radio. The person I want to buy this car from wants $10,000 for it. Is this a good deal? Thanks a lot.
Steve

porschehead
01-28-2002, 05:10 PM
Steve, ask for rebuild receipts, where case inserts installed? ,2.7's had a problem over years of expansion and contraction the head studs could pull out stripping the threads from the case causing lost compression , if that occured case inserts would be required .
If the guy has no receipts , do a compression test.
Even though Porsche started zinc dipping their cars in mid 76,
with the wheather in Europe and salting of roads I would check
the car for rust, especialy in the trunk in front of the gas tank,
and loosen the screws under the bottom of the rocker panel covers
under the doors and investigate with a flashlight and ice pick or screwdriver to insure the inner rockers are solid, this is a common area for rust to hide. otherwise if the car runs well, that is not a bad price.

P.S. If the car does not have Carrera chain tensioners( OIL FED) about $1,200.00 parts and labor, plan to put them on , it is cheep insurance compaired to another engine rebuild, should your old tensioners fail pistons hit valves and it gets costly.

Roadfly Home | Car Reviews | Forum Archives Index