Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

JonT
01-31-2002, 03:29 PM
what is the best way to get 300+hp out of a 3.0. how much will it cost and what do i need to do to accomplish this? do i need to swap engines? which one is best? any suggestions would be great! thanks

Tom
01-31-2002, 06:24 PM
If your going to swap motors why not get a 3.6 there 247 stock and can easile b tuned to 300. To get 300 out of a 3.0 would mean first a total over haul with bigger P&Cs new fule injection and a hole host of mods that wil be about2-3 times what you could buy a 3.6 for. Areyou raceing and need to keep the 3L or is thisjust to play on the street?

Tom
01-31-2002, 06:25 PM
You should be able to find a good used 3.6 for around $5000 with DME and harness.

JonT
02-01-2002, 10:02 AM
Thanks for the response. This would just be for play on the street--not racing (in the future perhaps). I'm just looking at my options and whether or not I'd be better off just trading up to a newer model or upgrading my SC since its paid for finally. Is the 3.6 swap easy or are there any other major mods that need to be done to accomodate the hp/torque increase? What mods were you referring to to the 3.6 to bump it up to 300 hp? thanks again.

Tom
02-01-2002, 10:30 AM
Well, there are many way to get more power. I would first get the motor in and running, that alone will be a kick in the pants. The exhaust, cam timing, and tuning the EFI will get you close to 300, and allot more lowend torque and power. With the little tires on that car it would likely go side ways when you punch it. There are cams and other tricks to spice it up to with out getting radical or effecting drivability.

JonT
02-01-2002, 12:39 PM
What about transmission and suspension changes? anything required to accomodate additional weight and hp? Thanks again. Also, where would you recommend I look for an engine and what would I do with my 3.0? What would labor $ run me for the swap? I just found this website and have lots of questions!

Tom
02-04-2002, 06:16 PM
MS road race .com has a phone number call and talk to Dave. Your 3.0 may have some value a place like MS or PAP but they wont give you any thing for it most likly. Maybe you could swap the 3.0 for some labor with the people who do the install of the 3.6.

I would consider bigger tortion bars front and rear as well as sway bars and brake upgrades. Its not really smart to add power if the car can turn or stop better then it did with less power. You dont have to get Big Reds but I would do some upgrade in the bake and suspention areas. If its a coupe the chassis should be fine untill you go to the track allot and the gear box should also be ok. Down the road you may want a LSD if the car dose not have one already. The list of Mods you could do are endless. What you want to do with the car will help you decide what modifications to make and what mods are more than you need

Because I dont always have time to check the boards you can also reach me by email or at my discussion board on our Website

Dan Brosman
02-04-2002, 10:52 PM
If you're looking to install a 3.6 in a SC you might want to talk to Jim Patrick at Patrick Motorsports, he has all the wire harnesses and conversion flywheels any other necessary parts.Call him at 602-244-0911, tell him I sent you.

Roadfly Home | Car Reviews | Forum Archives Index