Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

shawnm3
02-10-2002, 10:41 AM
I am getting my 2002 Topaz M3 Cabrio (SMG) in March.

The dealer says that I really should put LoJack in it. Is this a
good idea? Do you all have it? How much should I expect to
pay? Is it cheaper to have someone else install it?

All thoughts appreciated. Thanks.

-Shawn

StL Don
02-10-2002, 10:57 AM
CD changer, extended maintnence and a whole bunch of other add ons. It is his job to get you to buy as much as he can.

Seriously - if your car is stolen you can pretty much kiss it good bye. Either you won't see it or by the time they find it, LoJack or no, it will be stripped and you'll wish they hadn't fount it.

D

Mperor
02-10-2002, 12:11 PM
Got my 99 M3 Cab (silver/silver) 'napped in San Fran in March '00. Turned out it wasn't 'napped at all, but SF City towing (private company under contract with the police dept) had towed it from a metered parking space in SoHo area at 2 am (while I was still in a club). WASNT REPORTED AS TOWED for 3 weeks, at which time there was $1,000 towing/storage charges. (When finally reported, I was about ready to cash in the insurance claim and buy a Carrera). This late report/$1K storagewas HIGHLY SUSPICIOUS 'cause I flagged down Johnny Law that night (morning) and he called into the tow yard and confirmed that there was NO cars towed that night same area/M3 cab silver. and took a stolen car report. I stayed in SF for two more days checking the tow yard, no luck. Went back to LA, reported to insurance that M3 was stolen. When I got the call from SF police 3 weeks later, asking for $1K, got conflicting reports "towed" then "not towed", "stolen, in crime scene impound yard". Ins paid $1K, and flatbed to LA, said it was a COMMON SCAM, DONE ALL THE TIME IN SF AREA!!!! ------ OH YEAH, THE LOJACK PART: I called into LoJack right away, but they told me their system was NOT operating in SF area at the time (I've heard its up now).

Doorman at the club (GOLD CLUB) later tells me he saw them tow my M3, heard them laughing, "this car is waaaay too nice to take to the lot; it'd look better in my driveway." ----- Damn, as the English are fond of saying BUGGER ME!! Watch out for your M3s parking in SF. BTW, the damn SF tow company did $1.5k paint damage (pd by ins).

car insurance.. V M3
02-10-2002, 01:07 PM
like 30 % or something
but not sure..anyone really know for the fact?

dfog
02-10-2002, 01:45 PM
LoJack should lower your insurance but not necessarily
ensure rapid recovery of a stolen car.

A detective told me in 99 (my 96 M3 was stolen) that if pros
steal a LoJack-equipped car, they will drive it into a
cargo container (or any other Faraday-cage like structure).
The LoJack transmissions will be attenuated or completely
blocked. 2 days later, the cops will have forgotten about it and
your car will have either been ferreted out of the country
or stripped.

YMMV

M3Bum
02-10-2002, 03:53 PM

Roadfly Home | Car Reviews | Forum Archives Index