Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

- Zapper
02-15-2002, 04:21 PM
http://www.bmwm5.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=11702

Cabby
02-15-2002, 04:31 PM
We would have heard more by now me thinks...

spook
02-15-2002, 04:40 PM
...but that, too, was a while ago.

325iS
02-15-2002, 04:40 PM
Recently read an interview somewhere (can't remember now) with the US M Brand manager. He said he felt it was very unlikely that we would ever see an M3/4 because of the cost of modifying the body. The advantage to the e36 cars was that there was no modification to the body.

Mark G
02-15-2002, 05:30 PM
The guy *claimed* to have done a 3.2L engine swap but I think he put an M3 badge on his 323...he couldnt supply any details about where he got the engine and who did the swap.

Now with aftermarket M3 front bumper kits I'm sure there will be PLENTY of fake 4-dr M3's running around.

StoneWalk
02-15-2002, 05:36 PM
I imagine we'll see a lot of the new club-sport packaged 330's hopped up with fake gills and an M badge before long. They've already got most of the rest of what's needed to look like an M3.

I'd complain about BMW catering to that market, but the reality is the poseurs outnumber the real M3 buyers. There's probably more money in fake hoods, fenders, scoops and badges than there is in actually building the real M3's. So rather than letting all that business go to the aftermarket, I say fine, let BMW make some easy money on it, and then put that profit into further engineering on the real M3 :)

Mark G
02-15-2002, 06:12 PM
There are always going to be plenty of fakers out there, but there are some things that I think BMW should not make so readily available to non-M cars. Imola red on a standard E46? I know I shouldn't care, but this kind of makes me mad. It's the same problem Porsche got into by making the Boxster so similar to the 911. I think you have to make the owners of special cars feel like their car is special, besides all the go fast parts that makes us enthusiasts happy. The last thing I want to hear from someone is, "hey nice 325." I know it's petty, but I cant help it.

Roadfly Home | Car Reviews | Forum Archives Index