Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

Mike
02-15-2002, 07:12 PM
For all you "sports cars purists" out there who have always sworn by a conventional manual gearbox... what is your opinion on the new SMG in the M3? It's not quite a slushbox, not quite a full manual... but close to both in many respects. I've heard that it is actually sportier than conventional manuals. Are there any SMG converts out there who had previously sworn never to drive a clutchless automatic?

DakarBoy
02-15-2002, 07:22 PM
Quick shifts,,,option of manual shift or automatic, no loss of performance,,more fun.
SMG takes the M3 to a completely different level in my view.

This is no slush box my friend...it is the real thing,,,only concern is long term reliability on the actuators, electronics,,,but then again there is always a price to pay on new technology.

StoneWalk
02-15-2002, 07:33 PM
I've driven both the stick and the SMG M3, and I like them both. They are somewhat different in character, but both are worthy, and I don't see one replacing the other any time soon.

Pick the one that suits your personality and be thrilled that due to the fact that SMG shares the same gearbox, it's fairly easy for BMW to keep producing both.

Mike
02-15-2002, 07:40 PM

Vince02cb/cin
02-15-2002, 07:42 PM
here's a magazine review done in the uk. 0-100km\h the 6spd did it in 5 seconds dead on , the SMG did it in 5.2 seconds yeah its two tenths of a second but thats 2 car lengths and a loss in performance. By all means this thing shifts quick, and I recommend everyone to test drive one ( I did last weekend) it shifts faster than any automanual/automatic I ever seen and the downshift rev matches are perfect. Your right it isn't a slush box. Is it for everyone naaahhhh. Does it give a good example of how an upshift should be done, hell yes it does. Once you've seen this thing shift, your a bit more self-conscious about your own shifting. http://www.news24.co.za/news24/wheels24/road_test/0,3999,2-15-50_1118012,00.html
http://www.news24.co.za/news24/wheels24/New_models/0,3999,2-15-49_1101449,00.html

SKL
02-15-2002, 07:44 PM
Been driving only manuals since 1965 (except for tow vehicles) and the more I drive this car the more I like it. But I still always go for the clutch when I start it! All my other toys are still sticks so my left leg isn't going to atrophy... I love racing (CART and F1) and it's kind of fun to shift sequentially just like Juan or "Jeemy" . I do worry a little about when the car is out of warranty but there will be some new great car by then anyway.

DakarBoy
02-15-2002, 07:59 PM
I am making the point that in the real world when selecting between the stick and a conventional automatic you have to give up performance in a "noticeable" way...with SMG there is no real noticeable difference for all intents and purposes. I have driven both and can honestly say unless you are just biased about the clutch pedal and hand movement on the shifter then SMG is equivalent in performance.

As a side note, if you look at performance not just in 0-100KM time but also consider the GRIN factor then a stick feels outdated.

eatapc
02-15-2002, 09:35 PM
The South African reviews don't specify the options or test
conditions, and were separate reviews done months apart. The
comparison is not valid.

Vince02cb/cin
02-15-2002, 10:33 PM
Yeah thats it, sounds good.

Roadfly Home | Car Reviews | Forum Archives Index