Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

Mike
02-25-2002, 10:38 PM
Is there such a thing as grey market Porsches? Where they are built in Germany and are sold in the U.K. only? The reason I ask is there is a dealer in eastern Canada that brings Porsches over from Germany and sells them in Canada. Are all parts inner changeable,or will all parts purchased have to come from across the pond? Thanks for your help. Mike.

Dan Brosman
02-28-2002, 12:03 PM
There are indeed "Grey Market" Porsches. Any of your spec books will list specs for U.S., Japanese, Switzerland, Sweden, Australia, and Europe/R.o.W.(rest of world). Most of the differences are in emissions equipment. Almost all of the parts are interchangable unlike Mercedes where ie. you had to have a european waterpump to fit.
When Importing a Grey car you should check with customs, state regulators, your bank and your insurance company. A lot of insurance companies won't insure them and a lot of banks won't finance them. You may also have to add bumper shocks, smog pump, door bars etc.
This is why "Grey Market" cars sell for less.
As I understand California won't even register one that hasn't been previously registered in Cal.

Herbman
02-28-2002, 01:57 PM
I brougt a 73 911S from Italy and at the time I had to get a bond that would be released when the car was DOT compliant. The compliance shop made a few modifications and presented a book full of pictures to the proper authorites. All parts have been interchangable.

Roadfly Home | Car Reviews | Forum Archives Index