Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

BigT
02-26-2002, 06:52 PM
Vette Zo6 before buying your M3s. I am a long time BMW (own 3 currently) and Porsche (own 1 currently) owner and have been anti-vette forever....always seeing them as the single-guy...Firebird owner..gold chain wearing....type owner. But, the other day...I drove one. It was simply amazing..enough said. The only car that have recently driven that impressed me as much was a friends Z8. I can get the vette out the door for around $46k. Other than the usual "its junk" posts...any thoughts?

spook
02-26-2002, 07:05 PM
The Z06 is clearly an amazing performance bargain...one of the fastest, quickest, and best handling cars on the road at a very reasonable price.

But how often will you use the potential of the car vs. how often do you have to look at it (inside and out), feel the quality of the materials used, etc? For somebody spending a lot of time on the track, the Z06 is hard to beat at any price. But as daily transportation, the M3 offers a better driving position, better visibility, more space in the cabin and in the trunk, and is much better looking IMO, inside and out. Not to mention the gold-chain factor.

The Vette is cheaper out the door, but you give up some features and amenities. Also consider resale and maintenance...the M3 will likely be cheaper in the long run.

If I was shopping for a full-on sports car, I'd buy a used 993 or NSX before spending $46k on a Corvette.

CMYM3GO
02-26-2002, 08:18 PM
My old man has a Z06, and it has been in the shop plenty of times. I am not taking away anything from this car, it is fast, fast and did I mention fast, but then again you do give up the quality materials, both in and out. After 10K miles, he has developed rattles and squeaks inside the car, well you can only hear them if you can hear past the roaring engine sound, still think it is a nice car. The decision lies within you, the M3 is just as fast, plus you get a backseat for your trouble.

stu
02-26-2002, 08:47 PM
according to stats in R&T and others, it can do as well as (and sometimes better) than the newest 911 Turbo and costs less than 1/2 of a turbo. I considered it but like the looks of the m3 better, not to mention the vette is a cop magnet. Also, I despise the interiors of every American car I've been in for the few years, everything just looks sooo cheap and plasticty. The M3 is the only car I have, so it has to be fast, reasonably nice to ride in, and somewhat practical (4 seats). If I already had a daily driver, I may have given more thought to buying a vette.

kzanol
02-26-2002, 08:57 PM
I looked hard at the Z06 before buying my M3. There really was no price difference for me due to the BMW military sales program. Whichever I bought was going to be my daily driver and most practical vechicle I owned ('67 AH sprite, '98 HD Lowrider). I decided that while the Z06 was a better performing car, I couldn't live with the smaller interior and storage every day. If I could use it just for fun, the Z06 would have won. The build and material quality of the BMW is much better, but as a toy I would have gone for the greater performance of the Z06.

My 2 cents

Roadfly Home | Car Reviews | Forum Archives Index