Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

View Full Version : 1977 porsche 911

Bill
03-09-2002, 12:49 PM
Just purchased a 911 and had the engine gone through by porsche mech. He replaced the starter and engine cooler and indicated the 2.7 was fresh and in great shape. The engine has 77280 miles has been resealed, has 11 blade fan, but the chain tensioners have not been updated, and the mech was not sure if thethe case been helicoiled/timeserted and the studs replaced, he did not take the engine apart. Mech indicated he sees no immediated problems arising w/ in the next year and said i should just expect routine maint. My question is, should i go ahead and get the tensoiners replaced now and have the engine case worked on or just enjoy and keep up the maint. Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Duane
03-11-2002, 12:38 PM
Bill,
Both of these matters depends on your risk taking quotient. It is a lot like buying insurance, you may never use it, but you might need it a week from now. The best answer I could suggest would be that if you plan on keeping this car for a good long time, do the fixes. This way you won't need to worry about it and enjoy your car for a long long time, otherwise, you might get lucky, might not...

daven
03-24-2002, 12:44 AM
if the engine is out at this time do it... if not enjoy it.. you'll have it in for some other maintenance at some time...clutch..syncro's, valve adjustment.. what ever... then u may consider doing the upgrades....daven

P. Bourguet
03-27-2002, 11:45 AM
My advice to you is: don't worry too much about the chain tensioners. Enjoy your car. Eventually, your engine will need a rebuild (they all do), do it at time. In the meantime you'll have accumulated good knowledge of what you'd like to have done to your car that matches your own driving style.

Regards.
Philippe
1984 930

P.S. Check my website at www.eagleday.com. You might just find porsche stuff that interest you.

Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index