Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

rif23
03-18-2002, 06:48 PM
Can someone please explain the proper sequence of starting an SMG car (does it matter at what point you hold down the break pedal)? Occasionally, I find that I can't engage neutral (it stays in reverse) and therefore I can't start the car without taking out the key and starting over (this can be embarassing). Is this normal or should I take it in to the dealer? Thanks in advance.

BMillsap
03-18-2002, 06:53 PM
I hold down the brake, get it into neutral, start the car, then let the brake off. It is the case that if you slip up and the car doesn't start, sometimes you have to remove the key and start over.

StoneWalk
03-18-2002, 06:58 PM
I have very good luck with that sequence. I believe there are variations on that order which will also work, but since the one I'm used to serves me well I've not much experimented with any others.

I get in and step on the brake. I put the key in and turn it to position 1 so that the car electronics fire up. I push the level to the left so it's in neutral and look for the 0 to light up. When I see the 0, I fire the engine. Been working good that way for over 5000 miles.

You can pre-shift to 0 and then just crank it with the key all in one move, but this causes a disconcerting pause as the SMG grabs 0, double checks itself and then lets the engine fire, so I don't do it that way.

$0.02

M3Fan
03-18-2002, 07:36 PM

AJMD
03-18-2002, 08:22 PM

Roadfly Home | Car Reviews | Forum Archives Index