Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

gusser
03-19-2002, 01:13 AM
a manifold, an exhaust and YES a flywheel (yippee!). I don't know what the flywheel will do to the top end or high speed/high r's but I know on my Dinan SC'd 328is it KICKS A$$ around town! I can whip ANY M3 up to the quarter mile, especially 0-60 and I can't imagine a lightweight flywheel in the M but am staying up at night thinking about it. Does anyone else go to sleep thinking about your car arriving??? Any thoughts on the downside of a LWF on our cars? I test drove an M3 last week and was disappointed in the wallop I got when pushing it at low speeds - so used to being thrown back in my seat w/my 328...

CzTom
03-19-2002, 01:39 AM
The M3 has a dual mass flywheel (substantially lighter than other E46s) and the SMG system has been 'tuned' for the driveline's inertia and hysteresis...I know that SMG is very forgiving and can 'learn', but I am not sure how adaptable it is. If you read the Tech Article on SMGII, you know how much time BMW and Getrag spent on refining the system and getting an accurate software model to get everything working in balance.
My 2...

gusser
03-19-2002, 01:55 AM
I know the balance of the system is upset with the LWF and in my present case, just causes vibrations (which I think are very pleasing) but when traveling FAST, the LWF seems to compromise the whole system slightly - losing that upper end "smoothness".

Roadfly Home | Car Reviews | Forum Archives Index