Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

SAF
03-22-2002, 11:15 PM
I learned an interesing fact today about Google and their ability to provide the fastest search engine on the web. It seems that they have utilized the power of old-fashioned RAM along with an algorithm called PageRank to do the trick. The PageRank algorithm ranks a page according to how many other pages link to it. This is different than merely searching the entire web for pages related to your search query. As far as the power is concerned, instead of using a large and expensive computer to perform the logic of the algorithm, Google uses small and inexpensive computers that maintain a cache of approximately 2% of all web pages on the Internet. That, folks, is a considerable amount of data! And they do it by using several terabytes of RAM for the cache, which should not come as a surprise. Just to put things into perspective, the average home computer has about 128 megabytes of RAM. My workstation at home has 512 megabytes of RAM; that's the same as 1/2 gigabyte. I think my workstation can support, at most, 1 gigabyte of RAM, others can support much more, perhaps 4 gigabytes, but there is a limit. A terabyte is equivalent to 1000 gigabytes, so it's safe to say that Google uses several thousand gigabyes for their cache, which probably requires using several hundred, if not thousands, of computers. Damn!

Well, I thought it was interesting.

SAF

theRock
03-22-2002, 11:23 PM

SAF
03-22-2002, 11:36 PM
When it's the first time you hear about it, it seems new to you! So f*ck ya! hehehehe ;-D

SAF

sponsors! ;-) 'Jorg Muller'
03-22-2002, 11:56 PM
I'm just kidding, I work for Big Blue (I would love to know how much RAM in each machine, and also how fast the machines are... 2% of all the pages on the net in each machine's cache ? Is ALL the cache RAM or is it paged out to RAID or other drives ?

interesting stuff, maybe I'll have to break my Lycos habit (started when I had an S4 and Lycos appeared on the Audi R8 LMP900s)

Is there a trend here with me supporting companies that support motorsport ? hmmm, better go get another Red Bull ! ;-)

'Jorg Muller'
03-23-2002, 12:02 AM
is just how long that Google 'how we do it' story has hung around in a machine's cache ? ;-)

It's new news to me too, thanks !

M3
started google. Said he worked with the guy to come up with the searching algorithm. Pretty funny cause in lecture he wines about not getting anything for it... lol

Yohoo

Goody4
03-23-2002, 12:22 AM

Love40
03-23-2002, 12:30 AM

ing to Google's own site. Goody4
03-23-2002, 01:12 AM

Love40
03-23-2002, 01:19 AM

oddlycalm
03-23-2002, 07:33 AM
You don't really need a PC farm to access that much memory. There are devices like solid state drives and caches that can be implemented on a fibre channel network in rackmount chassis and provide several terrabytes without a lot of trouble or space. At 75GB per 3.5" form factor drive module, it really doesn't take that many. There are several varieties, with some using non-volitile flash, and other using SDRAM. Even the relatively slow flash allows 1200 I/O opps per second, and has a fully duplex bandwidth of 400MB/second.

This technology has come a long way in the last couple years. The primary challenge is having enough money to buy or lease a couple racks full. If one has the money, the rest is easy.

oc

Roadfly Home | Car Reviews | Forum Archives Index