Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

djm3
03-23-2002, 08:18 PM
I am thinking of buying an E36 BMW (owned many BMWs over the years) and have a quick question. I know this is off topic, but I thought someone here might have an opinion.

I just drove one that I really liked, but it had a strange transmission problem which I wanted to run past all of you.

The car would not really go into second gear easily. Second gear was further to the left then it would normally be...really far to the left. On a couple of occasions I went into where second gear should have been (straight down from 1st) and it went into its slot, but the car was still in neutral! What could this be?

Also, it went into fourth and then popped out one time while accelerating, which means that both 2nd and 4th gear were a little tricky...2nd was much more difficult to get into.

So, could this just be a simple adjustment of the linkage, or could this car need a new transmission? It only had about 30K miles on it, so I don't think that it should need a new transmission.

Any help or opinions are greatly appreciated. As always I appreciate the help.

Thank You,
David J '01 TiSilver M3 Coupe

M3 Cabrio
03-23-2002, 09:09 PM

Roadfly Home | Car Reviews | Forum Archives Index