Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

M&Aguy
04-05-2002, 07:31 PM
so I dodged work today so I could install my BMW CD Changer (ordered from Circle BMW) in my Cab (delivered on Wednesday). Was a pain, took about an hour, but got her done and it worked fine, at least sitting in my driveway. Then did some topless driving in the twisties (developed a strange smile on my face whenever I approached a yellow suggested corning speed...). Car was awesome, rowing those gears and listening to that compact growl out the back was incredible.

But then I hit some less twisty road and flipped on the CD player. Started out fine but Santana was rudely interrupted by a high pitched skipping. Didn't think it was a scratched CD, but tried every other CD. All skipped. Especially when driving over bumps. Even slight giggles on an otherwise smooth highway caused skipping.

The suspension seems fine to me -- not extraordinarly jumpy, like the guy the other day who found the dealer left the spacers in. Seems like I either screwed something up in my install the AM.

The changer has a "vertical" and a "horizontal" setting for the internal CD suspension that you're supposed to set prior to installing. As the face of the CD changer faces "up" (i.e., facing the sky) on the cab (it replaces one of the side storage compartments), I put it on vertical. Maybe I should try horizontal.

Any suggestions, ideas, experiences?? Once I get this b^stard to work correctly, I'll post pics and tips (the cab seems to be a little more involved than the coupe).

Amir
04-05-2002, 07:37 PM
My cd changer in my 98 M3 has NEVER skipped

My CD changer in my 2001 M3 NEVER skipped

My CD changer in my 2002 M3 has NEVER skipped.

Something must be wrong. I play burned Cd's, scratched cd's,
all sorts of stuff. No skipping problems ever

the other for the hell_of_it t00h0t - 02 LSB SMG
04-05-2002, 07:46 PM

GregW in Oregon
04-05-2002, 07:47 PM

part? M&Aguy
04-05-2002, 08:01 PM

TrackJunkie
04-05-2002, 08:04 PM
while negotiating a very tight off ramp

Dr. H.
04-05-2002, 10:26 PM
I am getting mine replaced on Monday. It skips over any small bump. The in dash unit never skips. They said mine must have an internal problem (i.e., they have no idea what is wrong). Will see if the new one skips.

Richard M.
04-05-2002, 11:12 PM
Correctly. If not changer will skip. It lets changer know what position it is sitting in.

bhamer
04-06-2002, 09:01 AM
I've got the vertical/horizontal set correctly.

I've also noticed that the sound quality of the changer is not as good as the in-dash. Mid-ranges break up at low volume. Definitely not happy with it.

Roadfly Home | Car Reviews | Forum Archives Index