Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

2002Carrera
04-06-2002, 09:26 PM
those who have been very sucessful dollar wise will buy the 911 and there is a very good reason for that. a stock 911 has a heritage unlike any M3 and there is NO comparing the turbo 911 with the turbocharged M3

SAF
04-06-2002, 09:28 PM

-Pachango
04-06-2002, 09:28 PM
So how do you like them apples

DC from Cape Cod
04-06-2002, 09:35 PM
The heritage that the 911 enjoys has nothing to do with the current model of the 911 that the factory doesn't even race anymore and the last time I looked there was no turbocharged M3 available. Your comparisons are not valid.

I can afford a 911 but it doesn't work very well when I need to carry my family so I look to the M3 to meet my needs. Of course, I could buy the 911 and then buy a sedan or a SUV (and spend $100K doing so) but I would rather spend $50K and invest the difference.

If I was single and had no responsibilities to others than I would probably buy the 911 instead.

firemop
04-06-2002, 10:20 PM

firemop
04-06-2002, 10:23 PM
I can afford a 911 but the M3 meets my needs better - and I am not looking to impress anybody, except myself. We beat this subject to death many times before (and several threads below). To each his own.

9 Nines
04-06-2002, 10:39 PM
Hitler commissioned the Beetle and over-saw its development on an almost daily basis - it was to be the car of the everyday German people. The Beetle became the Porsche that became the 911. No the M3 can not compete with that legacy.

tiggs
04-06-2002, 11:15 PM

history.. So whats ur point about Porsche???
04-06-2002, 11:35 PM

RSKeisuke
04-07-2002, 12:27 AM
Well, not exactly, the 356 was based off the Beetle. The 911 was an original design though, I think.

Porsche did design some military vehicles for the Reich though, including the most unwieldy tank-type thing ever, the Ferdinand.

RSKeisuke
04-07-2002, 12:28 AM
Obviously whoever posted the original message knows nothing about cars or is communications-inept.

missed a major feature in my car! HAHA :-P SAF
04-07-2002, 12:47 AM

DLC
04-07-2002, 01:10 AM
Think it was the Porsche whiners who politicked the BMW M3 normally aspirated 8 out of the GT3 series after getting its behind whompped about 6 straight times (winners, whiners, wieners...hows that for a fitting declension?) Let's hook up a normally aspirated Carrera with my M3 Coupe.

I can testify however(having owned 3), that a Porsche is a perfect vehicle for those who want to go nowhere relatively fast without the company of luggage or golf clubs - to say nothing of another golfing companion and his or her clubs.

Bull
04-07-2002, 01:40 AM
HA!!Have been successful and have had non turbo 911's and a turbo 993.
Now have, and enjoy M3 more than any Porsche. You can't drive heritage
per se so move on my friend. If you want heritage - BMW started by
making engines for WWI aircraft. And judging by todays F1 engines they
may still be the best.Get your nose out of the air and write Porsche
to start making SMG instead of SUV"s

///\rthur
04-07-2002, 06:01 AM
Did you know that most critics claim that the 993TT is rawer than the 996TT, which in turn means "better" experience driving. That being said, I can't understand how a car enthusiast can say they like they're ///M3 better than the 993TT. 993TT 0-62mph in 3.9secs. ///M3 0-60 in 4.9(4.7 is rhinoceros shi*, no car mag has TESTED and received that number). With that kind of performance, are you sure you want to state you like your ///M3 better? Why? O let me guess, cause you can haul 2 more people, 2 golf bags, and 2 Big Gulps from the 7-11? You just showed how much people don't understand cars and judge them with subjective qualities instead of the obvious objective qualities.
EAT A DIC*

///\rthur
04-07-2002, 06:03 AM

Mperor
04-07-2002, 10:44 AM

CMYM3GO
04-07-2002, 11:27 AM
If you are judging on speed then this is a no contest, but for the extra 100K or so I can probably do alot of things to any car, not just an M3 to make as fast as Turbo Porsche as well as better handling, etc...I guess these cars just should not be compared

Bull
04-07-2002, 12:22 PM
Arthur-you got a lot to learn. 993tt was faster even than 3.9
probably.Yes, rawer than 996. No, the most I've ever had in M3 is one
passenger. Don't carry golf clubs, And the only big gulp I might ever
have in the car is the crap you profess-and no holder is big enough
for that.You show your ignorance when you skoff that people judge cars
by subjective standards. Got news for you-straight numbers are just
that.People DO judge by subjective standards...You like blondes or
brunettes? Steak or chicken? Baseball or football? Numbers are just a
starting point. Carried to an illogical extreme I would like to have
one of Riley and Scotts made "sports cars" too, (beats the crap out of
a 993tt numbers) but NOT for what we normally use cars for. Spent
several years with the 993tt as an everyday driver and it is a
fantastic machine. However, I prefer the seating position and comfort
of the M3. Also, (subjectively) I prefer a well ballanced front
engined, rear wheel drive car to the rear engine of Porsche - sounds
like a buss is following you at all times. Also prefer normally
aspirated engine to a turbo for normal driving. There IS some turbo
lag under certain circumstances in the turbo. Porsche has done a
fantastic job over 50 yrs. taming the basic flawed design of an engine
hung way out over the back of the rear wheels. 70% weight in the rear
is not an ideal, or optimum, way to start a car design. Anyway-YOU go
out and drive a turbo for a couple of years and then come back and we
will talk. Even then it won't matter because preferences are still a
subjective matter. By the way I'm 59 and can afford most any car I
want, so you can SUBJECTIVELY write my opinions off if you like - I'm
sure you can imagine how much that will bother me. I'm not sure BMW is
"The ultimate driving machine". Obviously it is not. However, the M3
just may be "the ultimate compromise" machine for public use roads.
I like it a LOT. By the way - SMG is fabulous - another subjective
judgement. Oh, and your picture shows your "maturity performance"
level - sub

///\rthur
04-07-2002, 02:33 PM
But stop pretending the ///M3 "Ultimate Driving Machine" is superior to Porsches in all aspects....that just makes me sick to my stomach.

Roadfly Home | Car Reviews | Forum Archives Index