Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

sgalaba
05-28-2002, 04:54 PM
Please check out the following link. This instructor also a friend of mine crashed his 95 M3 at Mid-Ohio because he wore the rotors down to far. I was on the track when it happened, didn't see it happen just saw how the car ended up :-(((

I also saw the car at Road America that this happened to.

Please be careful when using the BMW Euro Rotor and replace them as marked on the rotor for the minimum thickness.

StahlGrauM3
05-28-2002, 05:44 PM

oddlycalm
05-28-2002, 06:12 PM
This is a good heads up for those using their brakes hard and that otherwise might be complacent, regardless of which rotor used. No doubt that any rotors should be discarded when they reach minimum spec thickness. In addition, the floating rotors should be maintained at the correct intervals by cleaning accumluated dust off the pins. Some rotors do wear faster than others, and those tracking their cars should check before each session. No doubt also that cross-drilled rotors have more potential for pulse accelerating failures...:)

oc

sgalaba
05-28-2002, 06:24 PM

KarlS
05-28-2002, 07:14 PM
Cross-drilled rotors should be checked before any track event. Check for cracks spidering out from the holes. Replace the rotor if the cracks begin to connect between holes or if they are getting close to the outer edges of the rotor. Also check the rotor width to make sure it hasn't been worn below the minimum but my experience with cross-drilled rotors is that you usually need to replace them for cracks before you wear them down, at least with Pagid pads. Other pads may be more abrasive and wear down the rotor faster.

Also take a small drill bit or screwdriver and clean out the holes. Brake dust will build up in them quickly and become hard as a rock, defeating the purpose of the cross-drilling. If you want to try and clean out the holes with air pressure (I don't recommend this), be sure you are wearing a mask and some eye protection because brake dust will fly everywhere and you don't want it in your eyes or breathe it.

When checking the rotors, don't forget to check pad thickness and the condition of your brake lines to make sure there are no crimps or leaks. It's also a good idea to bleed your fluid prior to any event.

These checks are very basic and will keep you out of trouble if you follow them rigorously. Sometimes I see the more experienced drivers try and stretch their equipment beyond its limits to save a few bucks or they just don't get time to perform all the checks before an event and then they get caught when the fluid boils and the pedal goes to the floor or a cracked rotor explodes. Unfortunately, they are also usually the fastest drivers and therefore the consequences are the most severe.

Moral of the story, no matter how long you've been driving on the track, follow the basic maintenance procedures you learned as a novice and you should be fine.

Roadfly Home | Car Reviews | Forum Archives Index