Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

JohnS
05-30-2002, 03:18 PM
I am thinking about ordering a new M3 Convertible but need to be able to have an infant car seat (rear facing) in it. Does anyone out there know if it is possible and if so what brand of seat?

Thank you for any help you may be able to give.

zapper
05-30-2002, 03:27 PM

jkp
05-30-2002, 03:48 PM

shep01
05-30-2002, 05:04 PM

RSKeisuke
05-30-2002, 05:06 PM

JohnS
05-30-2002, 05:09 PM
Gee thanks for the help. Infant car seat

jrw
05-30-2002, 05:19 PM
since I had a car seat, but my question is, why can't you use any approved car seat for your child? There shouldn't be any reason why an M3 cab requires anything special. The shoulder harnesses will work, one way or another, with or without the clip. I'd check that horrible magazine, Consumer Reports, for brand and model recommendations. That and keep the top up!

JohnS
05-30-2002, 05:45 PM
The problem I have found so far is that most (at least all I have found) rear facing car seat are too big to fit in the back seat. You cannot push the seat back up once you have the whole car seat installed. Even with the seat all the way forward the seat back will not lock into place with the infant seat installed.

jrw
05-30-2002, 06:05 PM
One thought: you might try posting your question on a 3-series (non-M) board. There are likely to be more people with children on those boards who could have some experience with the issue. The only question is if the M seats differ sufficiently from the standard 3-series seats to make a difference in the fit. Try a google search under child seats and see what you find. It's a long shot, but did you ask people at a BMW dealer?

NASTY
05-30-2002, 07:33 PM
This issue (rear facing infant seat) has come up before with no success (for the cab). If you find one that works, email me. I have one sitting in a box at home, so obviously haven't tried it in the cab yet. I'll post if I can get it to work (doubtful since it's designed to last and therefore big).

Most infant seats are designed to last until the baby is 21 or 22 inches long. There are a few that are good only until the baby reaches 18 or 19 inches. One of these may be a better bet on fitting in the cab, although they won't last (at least properly) the mandatory 1 year.

M_Rod
05-30-2002, 08:28 PM
passenger seat way forward on most. The Brittax seat ranks best. They make one that is "convertible" from rear facing infant to todler. Infant from 5-20 lbs rear/toddler from 20-40 lbs. front facing. About $200 so 'kinda pricy; I have it (and an Eddie Bauer one) and I like a lot.

If you have black leather, Evenflo makes an all black leather one...

Roadfly Home | Car Reviews | Forum Archives Index