Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

Jason M
06-24-2002, 06:36 PM
Has anyone ever put a different manufacture motor in a 356 Replica besides the VW engines?

I am planning on having one built but I want 200hp+.

RIMSPOKE
06-24-2002, 08:07 PM
YOU MAY GET 200 hp FROM AN AIR COOLED FLAT 4 BUT RELIABILITY
WILL GO OUT THE WINDOW AND THE COST WOULD BE ENORMOUS .
A FIBERGLASS SPEEDSTER WOULD BE VERY FAST WITH JUST 125 hp
AND BE RELIABLE .
HOW DO YOU PLAN TO STOP THIS THING ? BIGGER MOTOR MEANS BIGGER BRAKES !

gale
07-11-2002, 09:14 PM
I built my Intermeccanica on a '67 beetle chassis & clearanced the bell housing to fit a '68 912 motor & shaved the flywheel. Not a difficult fit. I had to mix throw-out bearing parts & mated the 912 innards to a VW bus outer shell & put in an Empi heavy duty throw-out fork. The stock 912 muffler fit & had to cut down the engine sheet metal. I used the stock 912 wire mesh air cleaners & had to shorten the oil fill tank. The rest was mostly nuts & bolts. It went like stink, lots of fun.

You could probably build a nice VW motor for 1/3 or 1/2 the cost of buying & rebuilding a 356 or 912 motor. I have a full copy of instructions for stuffing a 911 motor into a 356 coupe if you want to go that route. E-mail me off-line if you want more info on that.

gale
58 356A
ex '77 Speedster

gale
07-11-2002, 11:40 PM
A friend of mine put a 2.0 914 engine into a '67 Karman Ghia with a Weber conversion & should also fit in a Speedster replica with similar mods as for the 356/912 engine. They run pretty stong if you build them with some porting & polishing, a big-bore kit, hotter cam, & high advance distributer & lightened flywheel. I think the later VW bus used basically the same motor as the 914 except for the heads & cam.

gale

Roadfly Home | Car Reviews | Forum Archives Index