Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

KJ-TypeR
07-17-2002, 01:26 PM
Hi, I'm thinking of changing my oil much more than what is recommended (and covered by BMW).

Since BMW covers an oil change every 15,000 miles, I was thinking of changing the oil every 5,000 miles.

However, it isn't always convenient for me to drop off the car at the dealership to get this done, and I am quite lazy when it comes to getting under a car and doing my own oil change. I know this isn't good, but it's reality.

So, from what I've seen on this board the past few days, the filter element seems to be all fukked up after 4,000 - 5,000 miles. For all the other people out there that are too lazy to bring the car in, or too lazy to change their own oil, wouldn't it be nice and easy to just change the oil filter every 5,000 miles (and top up oil etc.) and let the dealer take care of the oil change when it comes time to do so?

The oil filter would take no more than 5 minutes to change and one could top up oil easily at the same time. The fresh filter would help to keep the oil clean and would help provide some extra insurance for the guy that thinks the BMW recommended interval is too long, but is too lazy/busy to bring the car in for oil changes (or do them himself).

What do you guys think?

ltngsailor
07-17-2002, 01:48 PM
I would prefer to change the oil and the filter at the same time. Earlier filters had problems but I believe that is now fixed. Just replacing the filter may leave contaminents still in the oil therefore my preference to change both at the same time. How much longer can it take to put the car on the ramps, drain the oil and refill - another half hour at the most? People spend hours washing, waxing and cleaning their cars. A half hour on prevewntative maintenance is in my mind well spent.

KJ-TypeR
07-17-2002, 01:58 PM
instead of some owners doing absolutely NOTHING (except for bringing their car in for service when the indicator tells them to), they could easily and economically change the oil filter (which appeared to have a useable life MUCH shorter than the engine oil).

It may not be ideal, but it's better than nothing IMO! =)

AK
07-17-2002, 02:13 PM

KJ-TypeR
07-17-2002, 02:20 PM
computer?

I'm just wondering because my car is in for its 1,200 mile service today (1,215 miles) so I've been pretty much babying the car.

So far, the oil service indicator has always equalled 15,000 miles MINUS the amount of miles I have driven.

i.e.:

15,000 miles - # of miles driven = Service interval

I guess when I start to open the car up a little, the service interval will go down right?

If that's the case, I'll drive like a nut and get as many free oil changes as I can! HAHAHA

ltngsailor
07-17-2002, 02:29 PM

chilipino
07-17-2002, 02:42 PM
I changed at 7500. The filter wasn't messed up at all.
Check out the oil changing pump at griot's garage.

AK
07-17-2002, 03:16 PM

oddlycalm
07-17-2002, 03:31 PM
For cars where the oil filter is accessed from up top, there's no reason to make oil changes a big deal.

The Topsider is less money than the Pela unit Griot's sells, holds more oil, and is easier if you need to transort the oil to a waste dump.

Roadfly Home | Car Reviews | Forum Archives Index