Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

Edwin191
07-17-2002, 04:09 PM
I good friend of mine just took his 02 M3 to the dealer for it's 1200 mile check up. He had a couple of little things to be addressed, one of them sounded like a heat shield on the exhaust rattling. The dealer looked into it and claims it's actually the valves floating. It often happens as the rpm's rise past 5k, but has event done it as low as 3500 rpms. Is this a known issue? Anyone ever encounter this in the past?
Thanks!

StoneWalk
07-17-2002, 04:13 PM
Complete and utter nonsense.

You are hearing the famous M3 exhaust rasp. Especially noticeable when cold.

It is "normal" for the car, and is not due to anything rattling.

It is also not due to "valve float" - the engine has valve springs plenty strong to get them valves fully closed at 8000 rpm, and has absolutely no float at 5k.

Actual source of the sound appears to be related to the details of the M3 headers and exhaust along with the very aggressive valve timing (not float mind you, just Vanos doing its best to make power).

Kevin
07-17-2002, 04:30 PM

Mr. Grinch
07-17-2002, 04:57 PM
I heard some rattle from the top end of my engine and thought it was valves. But it did it regardless of how warm the engine was.

I asked the dealer and was told it was injector noise, and that it was normal.

I don't even notice it any more.

Edwin191
07-17-2002, 05:35 PM
Thanks guys...I couldn't see how the M3 was floating the valves. This site is great!!!

M3SMG02
07-17-2002, 06:11 PM

Roadfly Home | Car Reviews | Forum Archives Index