Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

SeaBass
07-24-2002, 08:28 PM
My week 7 SMG car has a pretty loud whine...only when my foot is off the throttle and the car in coasting at speeds between 50-20mph. It does it in all gears & even neutral. It's actually the loudest in neutral (in the same speed ranges).

The car also makes a big diff "thump" in S4 & S5 during most medium-to-heavy throttle upshifts (unless I lift). It will even "thump" some of the time on light-throttle 1-2's & 2-3's if the car is in S5.

The diff "thump" seems to be normal in the older build SMG cars, but not in the new build cars...hmm.

Should I insist on having a new replacement diff installed? And Call BMWNA?

Thanks.

akahmed
07-24-2002, 10:03 PM
A new diff may not solve the problem, since its a design defect. I got my output flange replaced and it reduced the sound, Maybe get them to try that first.

Nik201
07-25-2002, 06:42 AM
There has been much talk about these whines and thumps - but I had the same on a July 2001 build. It took three enquiries and two inspections, with BMW here in Germany, finally BMW admitted there was a problem with the transmission. Same noise - first started at 1500ks in 2nd and soon the grinding was in 3rd and 4th - and now I have done 11000Ks. Most audible when on a "balanced" throttle at about 2500-3000 rpm.
BMW replaced the transmission and admit that M3s have a generic noise from the tramnsmission between 50-60 KPH ??? It is difficult to get any reason what the problem is as all replaced parts go back to be inspected etc and the reports kept a "secret" and only "generalised" for the dealership!
But my new transmission is quieter but still has faint gear chatter/whine/grind which for me is acceptable given there isn't as much sound deadening material in the car! It saves 10kgs!

Still love the car though... but BMW let themselves down with poor after service but that's another story....

Bottom line "complain" !!!

chrischow
07-25-2002, 11:44 AM
Mine was mainly when cold-ringing about 4500 rpm. New tranny-ringing gone. No explanation from BMW to date

Roadfly Home | Car Reviews | Forum Archives Index