Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

JTB:CB/Cinn
08-12-2002, 10:54 PM
My partner had his X5 keyed Saturday afternoon while he was in Target for about ten minutes. They got all four doors and all four quarter panels. It's going to cost $4000 to fix the damage.

Stories like this make me want to leave the M3 in the garage and never drive it anywhere. How common is this kind of behavior?

08-12-2002, 10:55 PM
He didn't do anything obnoxious to draw attention to himself.

JizDuet
08-12-2002, 10:57 PM

08-12-2002, 10:59 PM
Salt Lake City, Utah. Nice neighborhood.

admac
08-12-2002, 11:07 PM
haven't been (knock wood). but i definitely think twice when i'm parking in places like target. i was just at target here in the san fran bay area and i was concerned. it's sad that we have to be concerned about stuff like that. i did have someone spit on my car once. and that was just my convertible eclipse!

kerryrichard
08-12-2002, 11:09 PM
passenger side. Two keymarks all the way down. I have yet to have it fixed. Why do people have to be so envyous?

JizDuet
08-12-2002, 11:12 PM
supposed to be really nice people?

Brad
08-12-2002, 11:13 PM
The M3 is such a love hate relationship. I find myself rushing when going to a store such as target, costco, etc so that i can come back and make sure that my car is alright. That is one reason my car has so few miles. if after i park my car, i notice someone sitting in their car a space or 2 away from me, i get paranoid and repark my car somewhere else. (I believe this is how a set of valve stem caps stolen, parked next to a car with some punk kid in it :-( ) The only place i feel safe is when my car is in my garage at home. Gotta love the controlled environment!

Brad
01 M3 Coupe

JizDuet
08-12-2002, 11:21 PM
people who have. I also know people who key on a regular basis. The people who have been keyed all share one common trait: they drive like a$$holes.

Now they wouldn't admit this, not for one second, but it's obvious to me and our mutual friends.

The people I know who key share one reason for keying: people drive like a$$holes, and the keyer was somehow annoyed at some egregious display of carelessness, arrogance, or downright stupidity.

I see a common thread here...

So what I ask of people who have been keyed is this: c'mon, weren't you driving just a little bit aggressively? Didn't you steal that spot that someone else was waiting for? Didn't you follow someone too closely, flash your lights at them, made them nervous? Didn't you pass someone too closely, with a "Get the f*ck out of my way" cut? Weren't you weaving thru traffic? Speeding? Are you really that innocent?

loday22
08-12-2002, 11:22 PM
There were 2 long scratches on the hood, one long one on the door to the rear quarter panel and then the trunk lid and they are all deep to the metal... the cost to repaint was $2500 from a top quailty bodyshop recommended by a friend of mine who works at the dealer. Be careful out there and keep your M park at a spot you can sight. These lowlifes are everywhere.

loday22
08-12-2002, 11:26 PM

JizDuet
08-12-2002, 11:34 PM

loday22
08-12-2002, 11:47 PM

08-12-2002, 11:48 PM
I hear what you're saying, but in this case, I'd be surprised if that were the reason. This guy is in his fifties, and he's really low key. I think sometimes people just can't stand the fact that other people have nicer things than they do. They'd rather vandalize property and tear other people down rather than trying to pull themselves up. It's pretty depressing.

In response to your comment below about Salt Lake City being a surprising place for something like this to happen, I'm afraid there appear to be jerks everywhere.

loday22
08-12-2002, 11:51 PM

4.4 blk x5/blk 996
08-12-2002, 11:53 PM
I was actually keyed at her gym. Who knows she may be some aggressive *******_ driver but I doubt it. I think you just have an over active imagination. Not everyone that has bad things happen to them actually deserve it.

JizDuet
08-12-2002, 11:56 PM
is so far removed from my own that I find it difficult to believe that someone would damage someone else's property for no other reason than jealousy. Stealing it I can understand more than damaging it!

dB
08-12-2002, 11:59 PM
My friend drives very mellow, parked his car in a relatively un-populated portion of a public garage in SF, came back a few hours later and his car was keyed from rear quarter panel to fender. No apparent reason whatsoever--some people are just really pissed off at the world for the things they don't have.

dom

JizDuet
08-13-2002, 12:01 AM
to fit very nicely with the people I know, which is obviously a small sample of the general populace. Unfortunately, without having a clear understanding of all the parameters of each keying, it's going to be hard to make generalizations.

Over active imagination?!

I'd prefer to think of it as an open and creative mind...;)

4.4 blk x5/blk 996
08-13-2002, 12:02 AM
key cars on a regular basis you are just a punk thug yourself. You are the one that deserves all the bad things that will happen to you. Have fun looking over you shoulder....

08-13-2002, 12:06 AM
If only a$$holes were being keyed, you would at least have some control over the situation, rather than being unfairly subjected to the random whims of the angry, disgruntled masses.

JizDuet
08-13-2002, 12:08 AM
to the guy who keyed the car (I assume it was a guy), you really have no idea why he did it. It's often postulated that it's class envy/jealousy, and this is because keying is seen as happening to expensive cars. But is this factual?

Iow, do we know the real breakdown of what kinds of cars are keyed? Owners of exp. cars are going to be more vocal about it, and since we hang around with people with exp. cars (at least on this board), it seems like a trend. But is true?

I offered what I thought was an interesting take: the viewpoint of people I know that have keyed cars, which had nothing whatsoever to do with jealousy. So that's at least one real datum point which suggests otherwise.

N

08-13-2002, 12:09 AM

JizDuet
08-13-2002, 12:10 AM
you'd realize how laughably ridiculous your statement is.

JizDuet
08-13-2002, 12:12 AM

4.4 blk x5/blk 996
08-13-2002, 12:18 AM

spook
08-13-2002, 12:22 AM
We have laws and methods for enforcing those laws in a civilized society. The 'friends' of yours that feel compelled to enforce the laws and provide their own sentence don't belong in a civilized society. They are common criminals in the form of vandals, nothing more.

cb02m3
08-13-2002, 12:37 AM
I haven't been keyed yet thank God, but at least four or five times when I have been getting gas, jealous low lives felt the desire to make rude comments to me about my nice car. the most recent took place in a good part of town. A woman at the pump next to me, driving a late 80's geo metro, said something when I got out along the line of "stupid rich F---er in your nice A-- car, what the F--- do you know about life". Why is it that some people are just mad at the world, and mad at everything that someone has that they don't? I just don't understand some people, and in this woman's case I really don't care to.

WowM3SMG
08-13-2002, 12:38 AM
that they want to destroy things around them. Sometimes they key cars, break windows, deface art, torture or kill animals. All they want is to make others feel their pain, be as miserable as they are.
Just my $.02

dglasser
08-13-2002, 12:45 AM
Details are in the following message:
<a href="http://forums.roadfly.org/bmw/forums/e46m3/archives/forum.php?postid=522041">http://forums.roadfly.org/bmw/forums/e46m3/archives/forum.php?postid=522041</a>

I got it fixed last week. It cost $965 (they had to blend the paint on the rear panels on either side of the trunk lid due to the length of the scratch); $500 out of pocket due to the deductible.

In response to some of the other comments in this thread, the keying happened in a parking lot and was not proximate in time to any driving I had done. My car was not parked next to another car and was well within its painted lines. Also, I subsequently learned that another car (a Porsche) was keyed in the same parking lot on the same night, and these were the first two reports of keying in that location in the more than two years since the location had opened. All of this strongly suggests that the keying was not due to my driving or parking behavior.

Stuka
08-13-2002, 01:18 AM
Don't be the most expensive car on the lot.

That's the reason I avoid going to Target in Culver City, among other places in LA.

Some places just aren't compatible with nice cars. It's the price you pay for having a nice car in a society where a good number of people feel entitled to a good life while sitting on their asses. Naturally, they won't be too please seeing some young guy in a nice car. The situation is even worse if that said young guy is a person of color...

Andy
02 M3 CB/Cloth SMG

kenusa
08-13-2002, 01:23 AM
considering the current economy condition and all these job cuts. More people will be "angry" at the world. I live in NYC area, and the 2nd week I've gotten my car, I had my right tire slashed. I'm actually considering buying a 2nd cheap car just for everyday driving, like a toyota Camary.

Stuka
08-13-2002, 01:24 AM
This is the land of opportunity. I know it's cliche, but America does reward one's hard work. The way I see it, people have very little excuse to not make it here, ESPECIALLY if they were born here.

Ignore their comments. And if it makes them feel better, why not do them the favor?

Andy
02 M3 CB/Cloth SMG

Stuka
08-13-2002, 01:27 AM
I avoid stores like Target and Costco, if they open one in Westwood or Brentwood, then I'll make the exception.

Avoid going to stores where YOU have the most expensive car on the lot. People are jealous, and keying, in a lot of people's pathetic world, is a great way to boost, however temporarily, their self esteem.

Andy
02 M3 CB/Cloth SMG

shroomin
08-13-2002, 01:32 AM

Stuka
08-13-2002, 01:34 AM
It's also some what cultural.

Next time you have a chance to go to Germany. You'll see that eventhough their parking spots and roads on the surface streets are narrower, most cars have no dings.

And no, the German culture isn't superior to the American culture. However, their love for cars is unparalleled.

Andy
02 M3 CB/Cloth SMG

bpbutler
08-13-2002, 02:22 AM
I agree - anybody that "knows" people like this who feel justified in keying cars, for whatever reason - and does not condem this behavior 100%, then they are just as much "scum" as the people who exhibit this infant type behavior. There are other choices people have to exhibit their displeasure at someone else's driving, but vandalism and property damage is not the way and it is also illegal. That is why we have laws in a civilized society.

Obviously you need a refresher course in 1)Civics 2)Morality 3)Maturity.

JizDuet
08-13-2002, 02:48 AM

JizDuet
08-13-2002, 02:57 AM

marantzer
08-13-2002, 03:06 AM
up a red flag. Do they run around looking for people to make a mistake or error in judgment while driving? I've never keyed anyone and haven't been keyed myself. I have, however, unintentionally cut someone off and Iím positive that everyone else here who drives has done things that could be considered arrogant, stupid, or careless by certain other people. I would also bet my bottom dollar that these people whom are keying cars make mistakes as well. Do they really want someone to follow them around, wait until they [Oops!] up, and key the [Oops!] out of their car? As others have said, there is absolutely NO reason to key someone elseís car.

jikjak
08-13-2002, 03:25 AM
<br>2002 M3 Cab
AW/IR
UUC Short Shifter
UUC Transmission Mounts & Enforcers
Hamann Pedals
SSR GT3 Rims

Serbian Guy
08-13-2002, 03:55 AM

Serbian Guy
08-13-2002, 03:56 AM

Serbian Guy
08-13-2002, 04:00 AM
and I repair it temporary with BMW's "Lack Stift"

v2
08-13-2002, 05:15 AM
what a sorry waste of space Geo [Oops!] is!

BMW Nick
08-13-2002, 05:30 AM
question the motivations of the individuals I know who do this kind of thing. "Regularly" is perhaps too strong a word for the situation - more like they would key somebody (or other act of revenge) when they feel like they have been personally "attacked" by the behaviour of another individual. I've questioned them at length about this, and the result of their anger is not always keying. And honestly, these do seem like otherwise rational people. They're not "punks", "scum", or whatever, but people with college educations, successful careers, and financial stability, not to mention nice cars themselves.

I've come to understand their motivations as being fed up with rude behaviour on the part of other drivers, to the point of driving dangerously, and I think the concept is to "teach the other driver a lesson." I should have added that one person at least always leaves notes as to the nature of the transgression.

It's from these talks that I've formulated my pet theory. But another of my friends (who doesn't key cars...) thinks I'm off base, and that most keying is not random or class envy, but vendettas by ex-wives, girlfriends, jilted lovers etc...

Agent7
08-13-2002, 07:01 AM
greatly increasing their odds of personal injury or death by going out of their way to cause damage to others property. The prisons are filled with people that killed or assaulted others for little or no reason. I don't know about you, but I like to lessen the chances of dying before my time instead of increasing them.

kpmur
08-13-2002, 07:15 AM
My old car (blk/blk 328is w/ aftermarket 17" wheels, CAI, Clears, JL Shark Inj) was keyed twice. I kept than thing in perfect shape...it pissed me off SO much...but what can ya do? The worst one was when I parked it when I was out on a Saturday night...it was a deep gash across the top of the trunk...some drunk %^%^%^ must of walked by and keyed it...I had it parked in a rather dark area. After that I usually tried to park it more in the open where there might be more people around. I just took my new M3 out for the first time on a Saturday night (I'm now married so I don't get out too often)and, thankfully, nothing happened to it.

kpmur
08-13-2002, 07:24 AM
but I make an effort to be as courteous as I can around an area where I intend to park the car. The worst thing you can do is piss someone off and have them see you park your car and walk away.

KJ-TypeR
08-13-2002, 07:35 AM
...if I have a problem with someone who stole my spot or for any other reason, I'll say it to their face instead of being a chicken $hit and keying the person's car.

I have one friend who thinks it's "cool" when he does it to get someone back, and when he tells the story...I'm the one that gives him $hit for it after. Thank god he doesn't do it anymore.

My motto is: If you have a problem with someone. Be man enough to deal with it to their face, instead of keying their car. Keying someone's car is a chicken [Oops!] way of handling something. If you are worried about someone shooting you or kicking your a$$, then don't do anything at all.

Agent7
08-13-2002, 07:39 AM
Please allow me to present an example. Lets say you are walking downtown late at night and a tree falls thru the store-front window of a jewlery store. All of a sudden, there is $10's of thousands in rings, watches and necklaces laying within arms reach. What do you do? Some people would call the police and wait for the police to come, others would grab whatever they can and run. Your friends that key cars fall into the latter group. Why do you think that is? I'll tell you, it's for the same reason my dog takes all my neighgbor's dog toys and brings them over to my house. My dog knows that nothing bad will happen to him if he does this, so he does it. This is what animals do. Are your friends animals or a human?

in the dirt on my hood -CK
08-13-2002, 07:56 AM
this wasnt in my M3 though, my old E46 328i...

-CK

steveriley
08-13-2002, 08:33 AM
stone on Saturday night with my M3 parked IN the driveway, Feel very vunerable now.Assh##les<br>sriley

kurtieboy
08-13-2002, 08:44 AM
nice cars in North America. It seems people have more respect for nice cars in Asia.

MCJ
08-13-2002, 09:06 AM

Max
08-13-2002, 09:45 AM

justin
08-13-2002, 10:56 AM

spook
08-13-2002, 11:51 AM
Here is the reality: It is NOT a crime to cut somebody off in traffic, steal their parking space, or otherwise irritate other drivers. It IS a crime to destroy another's property.

Not only have many of us been victims of random acts of vandalism, but we all pay higher taxes and insurance as a result of vandals that deface others' personal property as well as public property.

The fact that you are in any way defending your 'friends' actions is pathetic, and speaks volumes about your personality as well.

glowrider
08-13-2002, 11:57 AM
My first car I ever bought was a 2000 Range Rover 4.6 HSE and I caught some punk keying it. Guy didn't know what hit him. I do, it was a Louisville Slugger...Don't mess with a guy's car while he's playing baseball.
<a href="http://www.geocities.com/joespageofstuff/Videos/BatToHead.rm">Kinda like this:)</a>

saksiri99
08-13-2002, 01:40 PM
to park your M3. i've heard that in the mission they would even key VWs and stuff like that... they just hate yuppies around some places i think. goddamn hippies. haha

JizDuet
08-13-2002, 03:09 PM
not engage in looting. But as I mentioned in anohter post, these people are college educated professionals - I don't think you can reliably make the connection between someone who keys cars and someone who robs jewelry stores as having the same mentality. These people would never rob a store, or steal anything.

JizDuet
08-13-2002, 03:13 PM
off in traffic, it IS a crime to tailgate, it IS a crime to follow closely and honk/flash lights etc...these are all ticketable offenses. And yes, it is also a crime to key someone's car. So what's your point?

JizDuet
08-13-2002, 03:15 PM
(it's only 2), even assuming it didn't get that far, would be personally and professionally embarassed by being caught.

JizDuet
08-13-2002, 03:23 PM
on the circumstances I've previously described, and it's my only information about keying. It seems from the responses here that people's cars are keyed for no apparent reason except class envy (the 'yuppie' writeen on the hood...), and the gas station story about the woman who was blatantly hostile was particularly appalling. It struck a chord because I recently was in a gas station when a young rocker girl driving some old POS approached me and complimented me on what a beautiful car I had, wanted to know if it was new etc..not at all what I expected considering the way she looked!

Thankfully I've never been keyed!!

bpbutler
08-13-2002, 03:51 PM
Nick:

You just don't get it at all do you? Can't reliably make the connection between people who key cars and people who would vandalize stores? Time for a reality check pal - don't mask your excuse for these contemptible people because they are "college educated and professional types." They are still breaking the law and damaging other peoples property which is no less or greater a crime than vandalizing a store. A crime is crime no matter how you slice it - what planet are you from?

One would hope in a civilized society the so called "well educated" would set a better example for the less fortunate who have not had the advantage of a higher education - obviously this is not the case with the people you know! I guess that says it all about the people you choose to associate with.

Agent7
08-13-2002, 05:53 PM
they can get away with. The wouldn't rob a store because they'd get caught. There are plenty of smart criminals, so just because they went to college doesn't make them someone I'd want my daughter to marry. They must be very good friends of yours because what criminal brags about his crimes to strangers. And since birds of a feather flock together, well... what does that make you.

4.4 blk x5/blk 996
08-13-2002, 05:56 PM

Roadfly Home | Car Reviews | Forum Archives Index