Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

Brewco
08-13-2002, 10:26 AM
My oil light came on while driving yesterday morning. I went to work, came back out, started the car and the light was off. Went home and checked the oil levels....all perfect. No problems at all today.

Did I have a temperary oil pressure problem? Should I be concerned or make the effort to take the car to the dealer?

So far the car has been perfect (Jan 02 build Coupe with about 6M miles)

Thanks in advance for any advice

Andy

Des
08-13-2002, 10:38 AM
it would come on more and more frequently till finally I messured and it was at min. I think I was just checking wrong or on an incline or something. The M3 seems very touchy about how you check it's oil.

Maybe it's like when your windshield washer fluid or gas is low and you are on a hill and it triggers sooner than it normally would? I have no idea, just a guess. My engine knowlege is very very week :)

Des

MMMRVLS
08-13-2002, 11:08 AM
I also have a Jan 02 build coupe with about 6k miles and my oil light has come on intermittently a couple of times. Oil level is down about a half to two-thirds of a liter when this happens. Dealer assures me it is normal and related to engine revs, i.e. more frequent higher revs = higher oil consumption. Just check the oil when the light comes on and top up as necessary, unless it becomes very frequent. If you go on a long trip, take a liter with you. Apart from that, the car has been perfect, just came back from a 2k mile road trip through Quebec that was a total blast!

Mr. Grinch
08-13-2002, 11:09 AM
I noticed mine coming on when I went up hills or accelerated hard.

I'd add 1/2L and watch it.

MAX@edgeracing
08-13-2002, 11:51 AM
I was almost home when it turned on... arrived, left iddling for a little while, turned off and left it sitting there for a minute. the level was perfect. I started the car again and the light was off.

Why? no idea

MAX

glaws
08-13-2002, 11:59 AM
Yep, exactly right. Came on going up my driveway (steep) and no other time. Checked oil and was about 1/2 to 2/3 qt low (damned dipstick is &(^% hard to read). Added oil and been fine since.<br>A friend will always try to help you up when you fall. If I can't get you up: Hell, I'll just lie down with you.

Brewco
08-13-2002, 12:07 PM

Mr. Grinch
08-13-2002, 12:09 PM
A friend will help you out when you need it, a good friend will help you bury the body.

steveriley
08-13-2002, 04:43 PM
manual. The 54 engine is DIFFERENT.<br>sriley

glaws
08-13-2002, 04:49 PM
LOL<br>A friend will always try to help you up when you fall. If I can't get you up: Hell, I'll just lie down with you.

Roadfly Home | Car Reviews | Forum Archives Index