Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

jbir
08-20-2002, 08:19 PM
Contrary to conventional opinion, among the reasons why I strongly prefer the E46 M3 to, say, the S4 is that the basic E46 structure has always seem to manifest a better build quality to me. While some details on the Audis are nice, those thin, tinny doors never failed to feel more "Yugo" than "A. Lange & Söhne" to me (yes, I'm exaggerating).

Anyway, just took my 2002 M3 for its 1200 service. Had a E39 as a loaner, and it reminded me about a minor BMW virtue that it, and my old E46 328i, had that my M3 most definitely does NOT:

A solid, creak free interior door grab handle/armrest.

It's driving me crazy. You can just squeeze that faux shadow titanium trim on the door grab handle and hear the f**cking thing creak because the trim is slapped on. Vault-like it is not. I hate it when a tactile part of the cockpit seems cheaply made.

For any of you who had an E46 coupe before your M3: do the coupes have the same problem with their similarly constructed wood veneer trim? Is there any fix for this that any of you have tried?

In the E46 sedan, those armrests are, well, MB solid. That's not a bad thing. Of course, they have no trim.

Actually, all the important things about the M are fantastic. I think, however, that one reason many of us opt for an M3 rather than, say, a Z06 is build quality, both substantive and superficial.

These armrests, I have to say, suck. If there is a design afterthought, I would rather it be an armrest than the dynamic qualities of the car...however, it is a surprising Bavarian oversight.

Do you guys and gals a) notice the same thing and if so, b) have any of you attempted a fix?

- jbir

Jeff
08-20-2002, 08:32 PM

Twit
08-20-2002, 08:34 PM
One would think that something you touch everyday would have a little more substance, especially on a 60k machine. The door handle was definately an afterthought.<br>Austin, TX
///M3///02/02///AW/BK///SMG!

Walks
08-20-2002, 09:28 PM
I notice this on my M3 but I honestly don't remember having this issue with my previous 330Ci.

gregwminmmoregon
08-20-2002, 09:33 PM
I've never noticed any creaking. I had to go out to my car and squeeze the plastic cover several places to hear some slight noises. Not an issue, IMO.

Dr. K.
08-20-2002, 09:42 PM
a couple of weeks, and that is on my list of things to be fixed. I will post what happens...

Roadfly Home | Car Reviews | Forum Archives Index