Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

T-Man
10-07-2002, 06:31 PM
everything less 19" and rear air bag.

$46,000.00 from habbstead BMW...

wow :) Lost just as much money on
my boxster S which is far more common
and avilable at discount.

StoneWalk
10-07-2002, 06:34 PM
It is pretty much _inevitable_ that you will get shafted on trade in for any car that's just barely 1 year old. This is why if financial efficiency is important to you, either take short term leases, or keep the car longer.

Remember - when you trade in a 1 year used M3, your competition at the dealership are the brand new M3's that he pays Invoice Price on. There's a good $6k or so between MSRP and Invoice, so at $46k he's paying you nearly as much as it costs him to buy brand new M3's from Germany.

T-Man
10-07-2002, 07:02 PM
dealer invoice on my car was 52670 and retail at 57545
to give a trade in value of $50,000 for a car that's 5 month
old isn't too much to ask for i thought.

After all i thought all the M cars were suppose hold their value, but so much for that :)

StoneWalk
10-07-2002, 07:13 PM
If M3's magically held 100% or 98% of their value, you could lease them almost for free. In reality, you lease them at around $1k a month.

You lost a good $5k the moment you drove off the lot, just like you do in almost any other car. You then lost another several hundred each month you drove it after that (especially if your plan involved trading it in, as opposed to selling it private party where you can get a better value for it).

$46k is a little on the low side, but that's what dealer's are going to offer you. You might get closer to $48k or even $50k if you can locate a private party buyer who wants exactly what your car is.

But the era of selling used M3's for full price is over. These are _cars_. Good ones. But still cars. When you flip a new car after a few months of ownership, you take a significant loss. If you unload it by trading it back in at the dealer, that loss is made worse since he's going to give you the least value on your used car.

I repeat my mantra. If your lifestyle is such that you either want to change cars like clothing, or if you can't predict your fiscal situation more than 6 months out, then your best move is to locate a very short term lease with details in the contract that have favorable give-it-back-for-cheap logic on it. Either that, or buy and hold for a longer length of time.

If you simply wait 5 years, you'll see the M3 with better resale value than most competing cars including lesser BMW's, Audis, etc.

gottaBeM3
10-07-2002, 08:37 PM
T-Man is it a coupe or cab? what Color? Miles? etc.
Thanks

T-Man
10-07-2002, 09:03 PM
Coupe, IR, 5200

spookm3
10-08-2002, 01:34 AM
...but over a longer period. First year will be a big hit regardless, but M3 resale values are doing far better than, say, the ZO6 Corvette...similar initial price and the ZO6 being even more 'special'...more limited in production, and performance. Retail for a year old ZO6 is around $40k, and trade-in will be much lower.

Asking prices for E36 M3s have not changed since I sold mine 2 1/2 years ago...1997-1998 cars with less than 50k miles are still in the high $20s. That's impressive...holding over 60% of its value in five years with today's economy.

spookm3
10-08-2002, 01:36 AM
I meant to say the ZO6 has BETTER performance.

Roadfly Home | Car Reviews | Forum Archives Index