Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

jsirota
10-15-2002, 10:16 PM
I know this has been discussed before, but a search didn't turn up what I was looking for.

It appears that most, if not all, M3s come delivered with blocks at the rear end of the brake cooling ducts. The right side is solid, and the left side has slots (presumably because the left brake cooling duct is also used for the engine intake and the slots prevent some sort of turbulence for the intake air.)

These blocks just pop right out.

Here's my question: has anyone's car been delivered WITHOUT these pieces? Some have surmised that they come on cars with the cold-weather package. But that can't be right, as my car does not have the CWP yet does have the duct blocks. Others have suggested that they come on cars delivered to cold-weather climates (that's possible, my dealer is in Reno, NV). Others have surmised that they are installed at the VPC, or perhaps, at the dealer during prep.

What I'm wondering is ... are any cars delivered WITHOUT these blocks? I'm trying to determine whether or not it would be legal to remove these for SCCA Stock-category autocrossing. Last weekend, with 10 runs in 80-degree weather, on a course with two very heavy braking locations, I experienced some brake fade and felt quite a bit of heat coming off the rotors. I don't know if autocross offers enough airflow for those blocks to matter, but I'd like to remove them if it's legal.

Please let me know if your car was delivered without these pieces.

Josh

s54mpwr
10-15-2002, 10:20 PM
definitely take them off for the track. Who's gonna know if it is legal or not. I only heard that in europe they are deliviered without the covers.

jsirota
10-15-2002, 11:05 PM

StMedina
10-16-2002, 12:34 AM
<br><font color=maroon><font size=1><font>

jsirota
10-16-2002, 12:42 AM
WHY is it legal? Either I need to be able to document that some '02 M3s do not have these covers, or I need a BMW service document that says that it's okay to remove them. I can find neither, so far.

shroomin
10-16-2002, 12:59 AM
Why would removing them be not legal? Let's say you removed your side kidney grills....would that be legal or illegal?

I don't see how removing them would be "illegal" at an autocross

StMedina
10-16-2002, 01:04 AM

StMedina
10-16-2002, 01:05 AM
passenger side.<br><font color=maroon><font size=1><font>

StMedina
10-16-2002, 01:05 AM

StMedina
10-16-2002, 01:10 AM
get the car, or what happens if they fall out. If they weren't meant to be there, they wouldn't have put covers. Would have left it covered.

What's gonna happen, is you're gonna wait for documentation and end up warping the rotor. I thought I saw that in rule changes, one was allowed to put eurorotors on and still retain stock status. so if you can put eurorotors on and still have stock status, i'm sure you can pop out the cover..<br><font color=maroon><font size=1><font>

jsirota
10-16-2002, 10:17 AM
The fundamental tenet of the rules is that "if it doesn't say you CAN, then you CAN'T." If it could be even remotely performance-related (and it would be hard to argue that popping those out is a cosmetic change), and it's not allowed either explicitly by the rules (it isn't), or it isn't a factory-supplied configuration (doesn't appear to be), or it isn't a factory-documented repair procedure (doesn't appear to be), then it's not legal.

This is all for SCCA, and the only time a competitor would care would be at the national level. Most of you don't need to worry about this.

Josh

jsirota
10-16-2002, 10:18 AM
I'm a stickler for the rules. Someone MIGHT dispute it, and I'm not going to make a change unless I can defend it.

Roadfly Home | Car Reviews | Forum Archives Index