Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

alexaqui
12-07-2002, 11:31 AM
So I was out on a date last night, and after coming out of the cafe I notice a couple of people leaning on my car with a bottle on the trunk. They were fixing a flat tire on the car that they parked next to me. Sure enough, there are quite a few surface scratches on the trunk of my previously pristine M3. What can one do about this? I was pissed but waht can one do?

Captain Obvious
12-07-2002, 11:33 AM
<br>San Diego, CA

SterlingM3
12-07-2002, 11:40 AM
first that sucks and i don't know why people in this country have so little respect for other peoples property...especially a nice brand new car. Sorry that is happened.

I suggest that you first try something very gentle on the paint, like your preferred polish. if it still doesn't look good, then go with something a little more aggressive like a good quality swirl mark remover. Its a little more aggressive.
<a href="http://www.properautocare.com/3mperswirmar.html">3-M Swirl Mark Remover</a>

That will probably get fine scratches to disapear. After that, you will be getting into more abbrasive stuff and require a random orbit polisher. I stay away from that b/c mistakes are easy. A good body shop should be able to buff out scratches for you properly for relatively little cost. good luck!

-Jim

alexaqui
12-07-2002, 12:52 PM
Basically they were 3 16-17 year old girls... what can one really do? Call the police? how does one quantify the damage? It really sucks though... I'm super pissed because the car was perfect prior to this. I'll see what the 3m Glaze will do as that is very mild and might be a good first step. I hate stupid people. I also didn't want to make a fuss in front of the date! LOL

the alarm/// bimmerboy
12-07-2002, 01:12 PM

StahlGrauM3
12-07-2002, 01:17 PM
a call to the local police indicating that they offered to sell you cocaine. Cops show up with guns drawn, search everyone and car.

IE Greg
12-07-2002, 01:19 PM

99DINAN3
12-07-2002, 01:20 PM
i dont give a f*ck whos w/ me. if their is anythin on my car by some other a*shole, their is goin to be HELL ON EARTH!

AK
12-07-2002, 01:32 PM

Tim C.
12-07-2002, 01:55 PM

accidents. Agent7
12-07-2002, 02:46 PM
Everytime I park my car, I think about all the potential for damage that can occur. Here are some examples: Shopping carts, am I near a flow of traffic thru the parking lot (if you park where cars are constantly going by, you increase the risk one will hit you), other car doors, sidewalks where people may walk directly past my car(people walking by your nice car will want to touch it, sit/lean on it and look at it), risks assessment that someone may park next to me, etc.

I always park in what I determine as safest spot in a parking lot given that moment in time. I don't mind driving around looking for a spot and I certainly don't mind walking a long way from my car to the establishment I'm visiting (even if it's raining hard). Once you accept the discipline of doing this, the chances of getting your car damaged are nearly 0%. I can tell you that in the 20 years of using this approach to parking my car, I have never one time had a door ding or any damage to my car at all. Once you start getting lazy and thinking "I'm only going in for a second", some grandma will pull up next to you and sling her 6 ft. Buick door into your car. Remember, the closer you get to a building, the more active the parking spaces are and if you park in one for 30 minutes, 3 people may come and go, parking next to you in the same space. That's 3 chances some idiot puts his grocery bag on you car while he opens his truck and then, maybe ding your door also.

Regarding your damage: Did you ask them to pay for damages your vehicle sustained? If you did and they refused, you could sue them in small claims court if you have their names and contact information. Having witnesses that saw them sitting/leaning on your car would certainly strengthen your case. If have witnesses, you'll probably win. If it's your word against 3 people willing to lie in court, your chances of winning are reduced.

sabre20
12-07-2002, 03:37 PM
You wouldn\'t have to lie about cocaine if they were drinking underage. They also would have filed a report of damage to your car and given you their contact info for further action. Parents most likely would pay for it rather than have their already expensive insurance go up further.<br><font color=#65625E><font size=2>
That's just my opinion, I could be wrong.
San Diego, CA

greekm3
12-07-2002, 05:37 PM
Join in with the bottle!!!

Roadfly Home | Car Reviews | Forum Archives Index