Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

modeyaka
12-09-2002, 03:22 AM
I think, the steering makes more sense even though Ferrari, Aston, etc. have gone with the column mounted padels?

hayaku
12-09-2002, 03:52 AM
the column mounted shifters can be reached no matter where the wheel is turned. our paddles are not intuitively useable when you turn the wheel more then a quarter turn. Thats the reason I end up with about a 80% paddle shift, 20% lever shift usage when I drive.

I think street cars have to be steering mounted because of all the accessories and gauges that a column mounted system would block?? have to see one in person to decide tho. <br><div align="left">
<font face="Arial,Helvetica,Helv" size=2>
<br>
<font color=green>
<font size=1>
<font>
</font>
</div>

Eichi
12-09-2002, 07:40 AM
Except for hard (and slow) turns, IMHO paddles on steering make more sense. Why do you think F1 cars have their paddles on the steering? If they are mounted on the column you have to lift your hand during fast turns. So the paddles mounted on the steering seams to be the safer method.

miaminice
12-09-2002, 09:30 AM

swoodfield
12-09-2002, 01:06 PM
The fact of the matter is that you will find that the paddles don't work very well in city driving because you turn the wheel past 180 degrees all of the time and have to repostion your hands on and off the wheel alot. This is particularly true at slow speeds taking 90 degree turns etc. It's ok though because you have the shifter lever on the tranny column. However when it comes to taking the car on a track, there is no question that the paddles work best when they are on the wheel rather than on the steering column. That is why as has been mentioned, the f1 cars have it there. On the track you'll never have to take your hands off of the wheel.

hota
12-09-2002, 02:38 PM
and the left paddle for downshifts. It works well.

I think the paddles on the column would detract for track driving.

Roadfly Home | Car Reviews | Forum Archives Index