Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

Sako
10-18-1998, 10:08 PM
I'm looking to change the clutch on my 4spd 73 2002 Tii. Any suggestions on what brand/make/model? <br>Thanks<br>Sako '73 Tii<br>

T. Clark
10-18-1998, 11:34 PM
<i>: I'm looking to change the clutch on my 4spd 73 2002 Tii. Any suggestions on what brand/make/model? <br>: Thanks<br>: Sako '73 Tii<p></i><p>I changed mine out last fall. After a very disappointing incident trying to used a local parts house, I decided to pay a little more and bought a Metric Mechanic High Torque clutch disc and pressure plate. I won't necessarily recommend that you do the same, however. The MM HT setup is only a standard Sachs replacement clutch which has be milled to reduce to weight of the pressure plate and features 15 "strapping bands" (as opposed to 6) which allow it to be used in higher torque engines.<p>Since Sachs is the OEM supplier - from everything I've read - it is the most commonly available. Bimmer Parts, among many other retailers, carries Sachs Pressure Plates and Discs. Also recommended for replacement is the pilot bearing and the throw-out bearing.<p>The correct size clutch for the tii is the 228mm and the throw out bearing for the 4 speed 232 Getrag with the 228mm clutch is the 42mm. Pilot bearings are all the same.<p>Whatever you do, buy all the parts you're going to replace from the same retailer.<p>Have fun and don't do it twice.<p>Tom

Jason Reasor
10-19-1998, 10:11 PM
<i>: I'm looking to change the clutch on my 4spd 73 2002 Tii. Any suggestions on what brand/make/model? <br>: Thanks<br>: Sako '73 Tii<br></i><p>Go with a Sachs Clutch. It is the most commonly available, and if BMW uses it, then it must be good. This is what I have put on my '73 02 and it has lasted me for a while with no problems at all.<br>Jason

Roadfly Home | Car Reviews | Forum Archives Index