Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

davidmillerm3
02-07-2003, 08:58 PM
I know everybody recommends the SSR competition wheels for the track but I just don't like the looks. period. Is anyone using their stock wheels with track tires for driving schools? If so, what tire brand/size are you running.
My idea would be to get AC Schnitzer type 3 for the street and use the stock rims (with track tires) at the track assuming there's a good track tire combo to help reduce the understeer - Any thoughts welcome!!! (FYI, I am an A group student, 20+ schools)
Thanks
David

kster
02-07-2003, 09:21 PM
I have the same problem, I want to get track wheels but don't like the SSR Comps. So for now, I've been running 245/255 F/R tires on the OEM 18s.

Are there any other (lightweight) 18x9.5 wheels available?

NASTY
02-07-2003, 09:23 PM

davidmillerm3
02-07-2003, 09:26 PM
I don't thinks so. Apparently the only ones with the correct offset are the SSRs. What tires are you using? Are you happy with the setup?

NASTY
02-07-2003, 09:30 PM

kster
02-07-2003, 09:36 PM
These are my only wheels so I'm running 245/255 F/R on S-02s. It's a big improvement over the OEM Continentals, with much less understeer. However there is still too much understeer and I also want wider tires in the rear to lessen the power on oversteer.

I know, Navid, who ran in the Open Track Challenge ran 285s all around on his M3.

Lincoln
02-07-2003, 10:12 PM
You don't like the look of a wheel that you are considering for track use, so you won't buy it??? It's just for the track and maybe the drive to and from...why care what it looks like??? Plus the SSR comp in 9.5" widths 35mm offset (spacer on the rear) gives you exactly what you want at the track and it's available in 3 finishes (the dark gray is the one to have since it helps draw the heat away from the hub).

davidmillerm3
02-07-2003, 10:18 PM
of wheels/tires at least I want to like the looks a little bit. My thought is that for that price I could get a really good looking set for the street and then use the stock ones at the track (assuming performance was OK)....

lincoln30
02-07-2003, 10:35 PM
I was really just giving you sh!t for being more ana! then I am (I'm very).

There's nothing wrong with running the stock wheels at the track (not the optimal solution, but certainly workable), but any wheels you decide on for this purpose will get beat up after a while...some faster then others. So what I'm saying is that after you run thru a couple of set of track tires you won't wanna use the wheels on the street without having them refinished, but the finish on the stock 18" wheels is very fragile compared to MOST other wheels you might consider. So don't use the stock wheels if you ever plan to use them as your street wheels again or you will be disappointed. <br>For Sale: 2001 M3 Coupe (see link for more info)
http://www.roadfly.org/bmw/classifieds/cars/detview.php?view=11659

davidmillerm3
02-07-2003, 10:47 PM
track set and the schnitzer as my street set. However, I want to make sure that using the stock wheel sizes isn't a huge compromise for the track and that I can find a tire size that helps avoid understeer - any ideas on tire sizes?

Chuckd
02-08-2003, 12:31 AM
Want a bigger tire up front. The wheels lincoln mentioned can't be beat for the track.. fairly inexpensive too. They look good several around here run them on the street as well.

Pinecone
02-08-2003, 08:02 AM
I have a second set of stock rims with Sumitomo HRTZ IIs on them right now for track use. The wheels were bought off of eBay for a VERY good price. OK looking, but one with a flat looking rim (like somebody went over it with very fine abrasive.

They work fine.

Other choices include BBS wheels that look pretty nice.

Roadfly Home | Car Reviews | Forum Archives Index