Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

Cab Driver
02-07-2003, 09:50 PM
Having had a couple of experiences with Radar Detectors ( some good, some bad ) I'm interested in getting another since I think the M3 warrants one. I will not get one, however, unless I can do a totally stealth install - detector unseen, and especially, power cord hidden. Does anyone know where I can have this work done in the San Francisco Bay Area on my '03 Cab?

Thanks in advance for the kind help.

Cab Driver

Funjunky
02-07-2003, 10:10 PM
Cartoys should be in your area, and the K40 is the only one I know of that can be hidden. I have one in my 00 M5 and don't really know what I think of it. I love the fact that it's hidden, but as far as performance, the jury's still out.

Lincoln
02-07-2003, 10:26 PM
The K40 is terrible (really bad filtering, so constant false alarms), the only good option right now is the Passport SRX and it apparently performs quite poorly compared to a Windshield mounted V1 or 8500.

As an ex-installer I can only recommend that you find a non-chain local shop that has experience on E46 cars (and other nicer cars in general). I'm not knocking Cartoys specifically since I'm sure they do have some good stores, but I wouldn't use ANY shop without checking them out first.

sabre
02-07-2003, 10:53 PM
Having all the cords and remotes hidden is no big deal. There are several DIYs around so you wouldn\'t have a problem finding a shop to do it for you. Your options are limited if you want the detector hidden as well. The low mounting points only give about 60% the range of one mounted high on the windshield, no matter the detector.

Passport 8500 or V1 are about the best.
<a href="http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=4291461067&idx=1">Here</a> is my 8500 install and someone will surely post a V1 install as well. Pick the one with the features you like best. They both detect radar equally well. Filtering is a little better on the 8500 but the V1 has directional arrows to tell you the direction of the radar source.<br><font color=#65625E><font size=2>
That's just my opinion, I could be wrong.
San Diego, CA

Pinecone
02-08-2003, 07:52 AM

Cabdriver
02-08-2003, 07:23 PM
Sabre:

Thanks for the reply - your install is nice. My problem is that I have a CAB. Haven't seen any stealth installs on a Cab before. Do you have any experience with the Cab model?

Thanks,

Cab Driver

Roadfly Home | Car Reviews | Forum Archives Index