Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

John Ross
02-26-2003, 07:59 PM
Although I have a '98 BMW Z3 2.8 that I drive most every day, lately I have been thinking about getting a 356 B/C or a 912. I'm not looking for concours quality, just something that I can drive regularly.

I have been online looking at cars, and have been reading as much as I can find, to get a handle on models and prices. One thing I'd like to know, though, is what it is like to live with one of these beasties. I've got a modern sports car that I love, that performs better and is more reliable than the 356 or 912. It's comfortable. The engine starts when I turn the key. Yet I want an old Porsche as well.

Are they fun to drive? (I drove a 356 B six years ago, and recall it being faster than I expected and rougher in the brake/clutch/accelerator than a modern car).

Do they come to feel like an extension of your body, the way good sports cars do?

I just gotta believe that there is a fun to driving these cars beyond the appeal of vintage and styling.

Thanks,
John

Rouser
03-07-2003, 07:23 PM
It's an "era" thing; you buy/maintain/tinker/drive one of these cars because you wanna give that era a try.

Some try it and bail out, others get so into it that the car becomes just another part of their lives. Clubs, Fun Runs, life-long friends and fellow competitors tend to become the norm.

Can you live with that?

<br><a href="http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Rouser/"><b>Rouser!</a></b>

Eric in Alaska
03-16-2003, 07:34 AM
modern cars may be comfortable and reliable and faster, but they all seem to feel like the nondescript cars you rent at Hertz or Thrifty.
A 356 has character, and a soul that should be loved. My 63 has been waiting patiently for 20 years to be reassembled and driven again... I hope this is the year I can do it.
And this one will be a driver, not a museum piece.

The '63B Super 90 I had in my senior year at USAFAcademy in '69-'70 took my future wife (of 32 years now) and me on a wonderful 10,000 mile tour of the country in 30 days that summer of '69. Been sorry for 30 years that I let it go, but I found another here in Anchorage in '78, and I won't let this one get away.

Eric Stice
(also several BMW 2002's and 320iS's, diverting attention from the Passion Car.)

Howard Beard
03-18-2003, 09:51 PM
Check out the www.912registry.org (or com). The 912 is the best of both worlds. 356 engine with 911 handling.

JackW
06-12-2003, 09:14 AM
There are very few cars in the world that have the effect on you that a good 356 can - they were really a car way ahead of their time, especially when you compare them to their contemporaries (MGTF, MGA, TR3 etc) - a 356 is guaranteed to put a smile on your face within two blocks no matter how your day is going - the combination of the feel of the car, the sound of that wonderful little air cooled motor and the connection that develops between the 356 and it's driver is unlike anything else I've ever owned or driven (and I've had a LOT of cars).

I sold my 911 to buy another 356 years ago because although the 911 was a "better" car in almost every way the 356 was just more fun and I've never regretted it.

H.Beard
11-03-2003, 11:03 PM
Porsche 912 - the handling of a 911 - the heart of a 356

H.Beard
11-03-2003, 11:14 PM
Porsche 912 - Handles like a 911 - Has the heart of a 356. Unbeatable.<br>Only work to afford the next "Road Trip" Road trips rule!!

H.Beard
11-03-2003, 11:20 PM
Absolutely, besides - my car is only 34.<br>Only work to afford the next "Road Trip" Road trips rule!!

356Lover
04-29-2004, 10:31 AM
The Joy of owning/tinkering/cussing(rarely) a 356 is unbeatable -- you sit in the car and it just forms around you hugging you to the road as you flow from one turn to the next.

Whether you sailing down an open highway or navegating a winding mountain road you can't beat the feel of how it handles and guides you.

Get one you won't regret it

adult-free
10-26-2004, 03:12 AM
<a href=http://www.gals4you.net/tgp/free_64/mswxx0.html>free adult</a>

Roadfly Home | Car Reviews | Forum Archives Index