Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

jason634
03-30-2003, 09:02 PM
I've been researching waxing techniques for about 6mos now. I'm not a chemical engineer, but am basing my opinions on expert detailers.

To make matters more difficult, very smart, very experienced (concours-caliber) detailers have conflicting, opposing opinions on how to best detail a car. Some say to use clay bars, others to avoid like the plague. Some say to use orbital buffers, others again, to avoid because they can burn. Same thing for glaze, rubbing compounds, acrylics, etc. Then there are drying techniques, blow dry, pat dry, squeege, etc.

I've pretty much given up on my Topaz Blue swirls and come to accept them as a fact of life. I've tried 3M, Klasse, Griot's, Zaino, Mother's, One Grand, P21S, etc. Under natural and most artificial light the results are stunning, when you park at night under *fluorescent* lights and get real close, the warts in the paint shine bright and true. There is no scratch or swirl that can widthsand the power of a 45 degree fluorescent.

I've also noticed that most cars at autoshows are covered in fine swirls. They shine like water, but the swirls/scratches are there if you get up close.

So for anyone out there like me who is searching for ways to get a perfect shine, swirl-free that can survive a fluorescent on a full moon, good luck my brother, I'm throwing in the towel, swirls win

Time to get past the paint and enjoy the car :)

Richard///M3
03-30-2003, 09:18 PM
clean and shiny, but it's not worth obsessing about avery little stone chip or swirl. Drive it like Munich intended & enjoy!

fwillison
03-30-2003, 09:25 PM
admiring your car would never notice swirls anyway.
Best you can do is use techniques to minimize them, and then chill out.

drew
03-30-2003, 11:49 PM
this product removes swirls...very easy to use and works wonderfully. i would look for a distributor online.

the best way to prevent swirls is to: wash and dry your car in the shade..out of the direct sunlight. uv ray are the main cause of swirls. i helps to keep wax on the car as well.

Holli82
03-31-2003, 12:36 AM

jason634
03-31-2003, 12:51 AM
again, i'm no expert, but in my experience, swirls are scratches on the clear coat (if you're lucky), caused by rough edges, dust, dirt, etc. on the towels as you wipe chemicals on/off... I do agree about the shade though, that keeps the wax from melting, which makes it much harder to remove

Roadfly Home | Car Reviews | Forum Archives Index