Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

JeffYoung
04-05-2003, 02:45 PM
Buying an S1, S2 or Turbo Esprit makes absolutely no sense. But, somethig about these cars grabs like 1 in 100,000 of us. I'll probably buy a mid-80s turbo, knowing full well I'm going to spend my days and money just making sure I can drive the thing to the gas station and back.

What is it about the odd wedge shaped cars that does this? Triumph owners (and yes, I admit to owning a TR7 as my FIRST car and now a TR8 Improved Touring race car) are the same way. Despite the fact that many find them ugly, and that they are horrendously unreliably and in many cases suffer from serious design flaws, we defend the wedges (the 7s, the 8s, and the Esprits) to the death.

Why?

Why?

WhY?

zvezdah
04-06-2003, 08:09 PM
HI Jeff,
I'd wanted an Esprit since I saw pics of an S1 in 77. In 91 I bought my first Esprit, an absolutely cherry Pearl white with low miles and well maintained. I'd actually gone to the dealer to buy an 88 and was sold before I got there, I was lucky, as the 87 turned out to be a great car.

I later ended up with a 93 I bought new. I can tell you the GM and later era cars were head and shoulders better in build quality and reliability. Not to say they were perfect, but mine was basically trouble free for the couple years I owned it.

If you decide on an 80s era turbo, I'd go for the 86 and on, they had Bosch fuel injection and nikasil lined pistons which improved performance and longevity of the engine.

ALthough the Stevens designed Esprits don't have quite an in your face exotic look of the Giugiaro, a 91 or later Esprit is a great buy in terms of performance and reliability.

Chris Smith

MadKipper
07-03-2003, 12:41 PM
I first got a 1992 Esprit SE which was amazing and quite reliable for the time I owned it.

but years later, I decided I wanted the purest design Esprit, the car that ignited the love affair all those years ago when I was nipper watching Spy Who Loved Me. the S1 is probably the worst version of the Esprit because it has the rarer parts and is probably the most unreliable. but if we were buying cars logically, Lotus wouldn't get a look-in ! - we'd all be driving little BMW diesels. yuk!

with emotion as priority, the S1 is the daddy. I swear I have more fun in the S1 than the 1992 SE. why? well, the engine is normally aspirated and sounds brilliant, the gearchange is much more direct and pleasing to use and the same can be said for the steering too. and as for looks, well.....!!!! the only Esprit that even comes close is the S4S and to be honest, I'd take the S1 everytime - it's pure supercar!

my S1 has never broken down and although there are various things needing changing on her (bushes, dampers, clutch & speedo cable etc) she's not the disaster case I was expecting. thank god! I reckon, with some modern little mods, the S1 will be more reliable, faster and even more fun.

you can't ignore emotion. better to accept you're a fool in other peoples eyes and simply enjoy what is definitely a fulfilling and cheery ownership experience!

Dickon
1976 Yellow S1

mikelr
07-20-2003, 08:02 AM
What an electrical nightmare, if it ran for 2weeks without fail it seemed like an etirnity. But I beleive it formed the foundation for my mechanical knowledge that I have today.

Roadfly Home | Car Reviews | Forum Archives Index